Just wanted to clarify a few things, answer a few of your questions and give an update regarding Connor's scary peanut reaction at school yesterday.
1. Yes, as is standard, parents are asked NOT to bring anything to school that has peanuts; I'm not sure if this includes things that have "may have a trace of peanuts" warning. Either way, I guess some parents don't pay attention to this.
2. The teacher did apologize profusely for not having read through the forms. She did take full responsibility, but did say it is tremendously helpful when parents verbally point out something like a peanut allergy too. So next time I will be sure to tell teachers, etc., about 10 times - just to be sure.
3. One of the school nurses for the district called and told me how they are handling the situation.
4. The principal - who I hadn't yet met - called today. I thought this was a very good measure. Clearly the school - and district - are having conversations about Connor's situation yesterday, taking it extremely seriously, and making sure this error doesn't happen again. Yes, a mistake was made - fortunately the outcome wasn't worse than it was - but they have all taken ownership and been proactive in making sure we feel good about things. I have to say, the principal sounds phenomenal (I had heard excellent things about him). He is going to personally point out Connor to the cafeteria manager to make sure he is never given anything with peanuts or exposed to peanuts. He told me that their goal is be a "compliment to our parenting." Nice to hear. He said he hopes next time we talk it will be about Connor's many successes, not his emergency situation. Us too!
So, I feel it is resolved, scary as it was. I do hold the teacher accountable for not having read these forms 3 weeks into school, but a lesson has been learned and we are all moving on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm so glad the school seems to have taken the incident so seriously. That says a lot for everyone involved.
That is scary and I am glad nothing too severe! I totally understand this as a little girl in my old Ward was allergic. They wouldn't come to church much or would have to leave early. Just being close to peanuts or items containing would set a reaction off for her. I hope that it all can resolve itself. The school should definitely take this more seriously and sounds like they are.
What a scary situation! Like you, I'm thankful that it wasn't more servious, and glad it's getting resolved.
Give Connor an extra hug from Nanna.
Also, give our best to your folks and your grandparents. Sounds like a tough time right now. Glad your mom is there to look after them. I bet they're glad, too!
And finally, you DESERVE the Kreative Blogger award. You do such a great job! I love your blog!
X'S & O'S to all,
Mom H
I'm glad that his school is taking it so seriously...it's no small matter. I'm happy that his reaction wasnt worse.
What a day! It sounds like a good lesson for everyone and a reminder to the school and Connor's teacher (who is probably mortified about this having happened in her classroom), that allergies are a big deal.
I'm glad everyone is ok.
My brother has the same sort of reaction to even traces of peanuts so I totally understand your scare...not to worry he will get better about asking and saying no way and I am glad he is okay!!
Oh my gosh, what a scary situation. I'd be really upset about the teacher and the forms too. It sounds like everyone has learned valuable lessons here. I'm mostly glad that Connor is ok.
I saw this idea for peanut allergies on another blog a little while ago:
http://emmersideas.blogspot.com/search/label/allergies
Post a Comment