First, Connor's school called to say Connor had thrown up at school. A lot. Violently. Turns out, snack time today was granola bars that may contain traces of peanuts. Um, looks like they did indeed contain a trace. His face was also red, swollen and splotchy (ya know, the usual scary reaction). Fortunately, his reactions have not severely inhibited his breathing, but with peanut allergies, they say each reaction can get worse. No thanks. His teacher had not yet read the 3 forms I filled out each indicating a strong peanut allergy (her bad). And, I guess I need to verbally tell his teachers about the allergy IN ADDITION TO filling out the 3 forms (my bad). And, when his teacher announced they were having granola bars and was anyone allergic to peanuts, Connor for some reason didn't speak up (his bad). Consider us all having learned a big lesson. This has been my big fear (well, one of them) about school, him being exposed one way or another to peanuts. Reacting that strongly to a TRACE terrifies me.
So now we have a plan in place. He is only allowed to eat classroon snacks with no trace of peanut warnings anywhere. If they do have a warning or actual peanuts, he gets to have a safe snack from the class snack stash. And, he is not going to be able to partake in homemade birthday cakes/cupcakes for classmates' birthdays - you just never know when peanut butter might have come into contact with stuff. So, I have to provide a little Connor stash of Hostess cupcakes for those days. Poor kid. But what else do we do? It's just too scary to mess with.
Second, my mom called to tell me my grandpa had been in an accident. He was driving (which admittedly is sketchy these days), and they think he had a mini-stroke or something. He ended up hitting the same car 3 times, then running 2 red lights, and crashing into a firetruck that was actively involved in helping someone else. The police told him he is NEVER TO DRIVE AGAIN. It's for the best, but so hard to watch someone's independece being taken away. And his doctors are worried that he is experiencing early stages of Alzheimer's. He is becoming very difficult for everyone to handle.
This is complicated by the fact that my grandma just last week had a hysterectomy to remove her endometrial cancer. She can't drive for 6 weeks, and is having a difficult recovery. My poor mom is shouldering much of this burden right now. It really is true how life comes full circle, and you start caring for the parents who once cared for you.
Brian and I are fortunate to still have 5 of our 8 grandparents, and we'd love for that to continue for a long time. And all of them have been in pretty good health, too. So it's hard to think of my grandma and grandpa having these problems.
Third, can you see Lucas's shiner?:


Slammed into the coffee table. After his brother pushed him (another reason it was a bad day, grumpy kids all around.) It's pretty swollen and increasingly bruised.
Here's to a better day tomorrow!
8 comments:
Oh, I'm sorry you had such a rough day! I would be furious at Connor's teacher, I'm glad you're more level-headed than I am. :)
I heard grandpa's story a little bit differently - according to my source the police DIDN'T take away grandpa's license, Uncle Pat took away his car! Poor grandpa. I'm so glad your mom is there to help out with everything.
Oh, I was furious. Had a long conversation with a nurse for the school district, as well as one with the teacher. Now that Connor is OK, I have calmed down.
And I didn't say the police took grandpa's license, but they told him to never drive again. I guess it's up to his family to enforce this??? Grandpa is rather belligerent, obviously. No fun. My mom is a ball of stress over the whole G&G thing.
Oh Melissa, I am so sorry! I feel so bad that your day was so awful. Those 'trace amounts' can be really problematic.
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa and Grandma. It's hard to see the people you love get old and struggle. I hope things look up for them soon :)
I am sooo sorry. Everything always happens at once doesn't it?!?
My mom had to force the family to take away her fathers licence and car. It was no fun, but for the best. Your mother is a saint to take all that on.
Good luck with the peanut thing. We were never allowed to bring anything into the class for treats that wasn't commercially prepared...
What a rough day. It's never a good thing about the peanuts! In myo kids classrooms nothing with traces of nuts can be brought in. I thought this was pretty standard. Too bad he had to suffer though. Sorry to hear about your grandpa, I'm surprised he's ok, it's hard to watch someone deteriorate. Hopefully today will be better!
Somedays are just like that, aren't they?! Sorry to hear about it all.
Chat with me sometime about the peanut allergy thing. I can fill you in on a few of the how to's in school. Although, it sounds like you learned it the hardway. Sorry! I will try to call you this weekend, or if I get chance in the evening. Talk soon
That was one rough day! I am glad that Connor is ok, and that you now have a plan in place and everyone knows about the allergy.
I feel so bad for Grandpa, but at least the accident that led to him (hopefully) no longer driving was not as bad as it could have been. I just hope his car doesn't get fixed!
Sorry about your day. I was on the phone with you when Lucas was injured, so I know how painful that one sounded. Poor Connor. It stinks to have to eat the separate snacks and feel "different." Getting sick just isn't worth it.
Post a Comment