
They're baaaaaccccccckkkkk!!!! I walked into my local grocery store today, and there they were ... HONEYCRISP APPLES!!! They are the yummiest apples ever. And, they were discovered by apples experts at the University of Minnesota, who discovered them by cross-pollinating Macoun and Honeygold apples. Those Minnesotans - they always know the good stuff! ;)
You must get some if you haven't tried them yet. Oh, and for good measure, make some of Becky Higgins' Toffee Apple Dip. Just slice the apples and dip 'em in this heavenly concoction. It is SO good. I just made some tonight, but delivered it along with dinner to a girl in my ward who just had a baby. Next batch will have to stay here for sure!
toffee apple dip

TOFFEE APPLE DIP
Mix the following together & serve with apple slices:
8 oz. cream cheese
½ c. brown sugar
¼ c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. Skor toffee bits (or crushed Skor toffee bars)
Also, I so did not know until yesterday that The Secret Life of Bees is now a movie, coming to theaters October 17! Joy! It is a truly great book, and the cast looks smashing. I totally adore Sophie Okonedo, who played Don Cheadle's wife in Hotel Rwanda.
This was the last book I read before having Connor; I finished it the night before I went into labor. I will always remember reading it in total silence and thinking, "my life will never be this quiet again." For real. I had NO idea how true that would be.
Anywho... I see a girls' night in October when this little treat hits the theaters!
5 comments:
I love HoneyCrisp apples too, but we have them most of the time in my store. How is that? Hmmm, must be last year's crop most of the time. Apples are always better this time of year because they're extra fresh and crisp. Nice to see that you're making good use of Becky's recipes. I've admired them many times but never made any. Looks like she's got some winners!
Yay for Honeycrisp. Pink Ladies are another great apple, but not created in Minnesota. I LOVE Secret Life of Bees. I can't wait to see the movie.
It would seem that all your friends have good taste, because Honeycrisp are our favorite as well! (With pink ladies as a close second!) Love the dip too, I found the recipe in my "essential Mormon cookbook". :)
Honeycrisp apples are great, but I live in MN and have not seen them in a while. Next weekend when we go to Nate and Alli's we are going to an apple orchard, and will get to pick Honeycrisp off of the tree! YAY! I love Secret Life of Bees- it will be interesting as a movie.
I've never had Honeycrisp apples but I'm intrigued and thinking I better get some good books in before march.
Post a Comment