Friday, June 13, 2008

Where the vampires walk

Took the kiddos on a Barnes and Noble outing the other day. I had to buy my book club read for this month, The Inheritance of Loss. I normally borrow books from the library, but waited too long on this one (had to actually visit my new library and get a new card), thus the available copy was gone when I arrived. But really, this is a beautiful cover, so maybe I'll just put it on display somewhere to look at when I'm done reading it. Not really, but it is pretty. And my copy has a beautiful orange die-cut edge. Lovely! Hope the inside is as good as the outside!


I let Connor and Isabel each select a book, too. Isabel picked Owl Babies. I happen to have an owl thing going on these days. Just kinda like 'em. I had seen this book, but never read it. It is darling! She and I both love it, and have read it numerous times in the past couple of days. It's about three baby owls who get scared at night in the woods while their owl mother is off hunting for food. A real "I want my mommy!" theme. We highly recommend it.

Connor selected The Fire Cat. It combines some of his favorite things, fire trucks and cats, so it was kind of a no-brainer. A cute story, practice for his emerging reading skills.
Now to my heading. I have never read Stephanie Meyer, and have not planned to. Vampires and young adult fiction are just not my thing. But both my sisters have been absolutely obsessed with her books, and that is ALL I have heard about from them this week. On separate phone calls with them (but within hours of each call), they both mentioned how quickly they finished one of the books, adding, "and I didn't even neglect my children!" Hmmmm, sounds suspicious to me. Anyway, I might be tempted enough to venture into the series at some point, just to see what all the fuss is about.

I do, however, know enough of them to know they are set in Forks, Washington, and that the rainforests there play a role in the books. For the record, I just have to share that I actually stayed in Forks when Brian and I went to Seattle almost 2 years ago. We took a 3-day trip out the coast, and spent one night in the town of Forks, and hiked the nearby Ho rainforest. The second night we stayed just outside of Forks near "First Beach." Yep, they are all real places. So, if you have read the books and have wondered what the rainforest looks like where the vampires are, here you go:


And I lived to tell about it.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

That's funny. Thekla called me a few months ago and said, "I just read these books that you HAVE to read. You'd love them!" Before she could tell me what they were called I asked, "Let me guess, Twilight?" :)

They really are a great read. Let me know what you think if you get around to it!

Tiffany said...

OK, so I am absoutely obsessed with the Twilight books. I could not put them down. I read each book in one sitting (1 night for each book). I guess that's what happens when you dont have any kids! I have the 4th book on order from Amazon, and I am seriously counting down till it arrives. It is definitely my kind of book, my favorite style. I highly reccommend it! :)

Lara said...

They really are great books, and my kids were not neglected. I just had a fussy 8-week-old who needed to be held for a few chapters;) I am counting the days until the 4th book!

Amy said...

Addy and I like the Owl book too.

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I haven't read the books yet, but being that young adult literature is my favorite, it sounds right up my alley. I've been thinking I should do some leisure reading this summer. You've peaked my interest. I might have to ask Tiffany to borrow the books. Thanks.

Kristina said...

GREAT BOOKS! I don't even like vampire/werewolf books. But I am absolutely in love. I am glad that Nolan takes nice afternoon naps and goes to bed at 8. Great reading time! (I didn't say my house was cleaned, though!)

Lori said...

I have read all three and enjoyed them. Although I may have neglected a few things to read them....You should at least try them. Even friends of mine who don't read have enjoyed them.

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

I read these very quickly without neglecting my kids, too! I love them. Thanks for putting those pictures up... It makes different scenes more clear in my mind!

The Frosts said...

You really should give them a try. They are good. I'm not in the totally obsessed camp but I did enjoy them. I just read her new book and thought it was great. And she lives 4 miles away from me.