Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Not so 'fair' weather

Geez. You go to the Fair expecting funnel cakes, not funnel clouds...

It all started off nicely enough. We decided to spend the evening at the Boulder County Fair. We rode some rides: (Lara, I couldn't help but laugh thinking about the last time Connor was on a helicopter fair ride! Much different this time, wouldn't you say?)



Daddy played a game and won them each a little prize:

And then this happened:

A huge storm blew in and it looked pretty ominous. At first it was just really dark and windy, which turned the sandy fairgrounds into a veritable sandstorm, hence Connor's look on this last ride. It was getting nasty.


Then a torrential downpour started (I know I've been wanting one, but from the comfort of my living room, thank you very much). So we headed indoors to see all the animals:

That was all fine and dandy, until the tornado sirens started going off and they were herding (no pun intended) people into the main exhibit hall. Now it was really dark and all the sand was turning to muddy rivers, and Brian decided we should head for the van at this time. My trained weather spotter eyes didn't see any imminent funnels/tornadic activity, so I reluctantly agreed to make a run for it. We arrived at the van muddy, drenched and cold, but made it home without further incident. Turns out there were several funnels clouds and a tornado right around here and also lots of flash flood warnings.

It ended up being a crazy adventure, but we had a great time anyway. As long as everything turns out OK, I don't mind me a little adventure now and then.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

I've always wanted to see a tornado, but not out in the open like that! Glad your adventure landed you safely at home.

Lara said...

Connor's reaction to the helicopter is quite different than that of 2 years ago! The storm looked like it could have been fun to watch from a nice, safe living room, but a bit scary to see at the fair. Glad you all are ok!

The Calverts said...

Looks like as fairly good time! (sorry, couldn't resist the pun). Your kids are adorable. So glad that you made it home safely.

Anonymous said...

The fair looks like fun. I was thinking about you went we had the tornado warnings for up north.

Tiffany said...

Holey moley! I'm glad you were all safe :)

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Glad you got home safely! I took the kids on a walk yesterday evening. As we got to the Target, we started hearing lightning, so we went inside to goof around. We stayed in there for about an hour, but it was still POURING, so I called Robbie to come pick us up. The lightning strikes were so close!!!

The Frosts said...

Holy moly. That cloud picture looks like it's photoshopped or something - crazy. Glad you were safe!

Marianne N Doug said...

We think you should have sold that Fairground Storm picture to the newspaper - it's like a scene from Twister! Great Shot! We hunkered down at home and just hoped it would pass quickly.