Friday, August 22, 2008

Five for Friday

1. Kindergarten update: School is going well! After the first day his teacher told me Connor is a "sweet boy" and did great for the first half of the day. But halfway through the day he announced he was done and ready to go home. Clearly he is not used to being in school for a full day! He'll get used to it. He reports his favorite part of school thus far is riding the bus. I was a nervous wreck about it, but it has gone well! He also has enjoyed reading time at school, recess, and eating lunch there.
2. I had to copy it. I loved Just A Girl's pear sconce so much that I headed to my local flea market (a first for me) and found my own pair of sconces for next to nothing:
I spray painted them black, got some faux pears, tied ribbon on the stems, and hung them on either side of this artwork in my kitchen. Love!
3. Family trees. How cute are these?

My sister Lara found them on a blog and now she and I are both making our own. I'll post when mine is finished. I'm aiming for a more simple one like the green background one.

4. Olympics. Are you watching??? I am sad that gymnastics is over, but relieved that I won't have more bleary-eyed mornings from staying up late to watch them. Seriously, I was sometimes napping at 10 p.m. for a bit so I could be up until 11:30 or midnight to see results. I like both Nastia and Shawn, and am glad they both ended up with a gold apiece. My kids have been "swimming," flipping, jumping, somersaulting, "diving" and running around the house to simulate the events. Isabel calls them the "o-lipsticks" - every time they start she comes running, yelling "mom, look! The o-lipsticks are on again!"

5. Twilight and book club retreat. OK, so I read it. I finished Twilight this week and am in the middle of New Moon. It's this month's book club pick. My thought: It was good, not great. I enjoyed it for the most part, but was not consumed by it as some of you have been. Frankly, Bella gets on my nerves. But the story was interesting, even if it is about vampires. And I liked that I've been to Forks (spent a night there in the Dew Drop Inn; didn't see any rain, but we woke up to the coolest, somewhat creepiest fog ever). I am actually enjoying the second book, I'll post final thoughts once I've finished the series.

Speaking of book club, the girls and I are headed on a "retreat" late next month to Estes Park that I am SO excited for! Shopping, eating, relaxing, and a break from kids - can't beat that! Brian has never been alone overnight with the three kids (or even with two kids!)

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Wendie said...

Very cute sconces and pears. I saw that too and would love to copy! Estes Park sounds fun too.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your pears and sconces! They look fantastic.

-Bonnie

Elizabeth said...

I'm so happy when you can see someething,copy, and make it your own. It turned out really cute. I'm glad that school is going well. When this month is over I'm getting geared up for estes park, it will be a nice break and great fun. I know because book club is always fun. Have a great weekend!

The Frosts said...

Pears/sconces look adorable! Love! Is Connor in full day K? Did I miss that? I'm glad he loves it!

I can't tell you how much your opinion of the Twilight series matches mine. The first 3 books Bella bugged the crapola out of me. Like I hated her. Book 4 made it all better. I like them but don't really get the people who are crazy for them/reread them etc. They don't even come close to touching the HP series for me. But I had to read the series so I could be in the know, ya know? I'd so love to meet SM, she seems like she has such a fun personality and apparently lives about 4 miles away from me.

Your retreat sounds fab. I'm still looking for a book club here. Sigh.

Melissa said...

Monique,

Too funny about Twilight! We are definitely on the same page. :)

Connor goes to K 2 1/2 days/week. So he goes all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then on Friday afternoons. I actually like the schedule. Are you adjusting to all day every day? I can see now how taxing that might be.

Lara said...

I love the pears and sconces! They look good with the picture. My family tree is almost done and I LOVE IT! Estes Park sounds like a fun time, and I am glad that school is going well for Connor. I love the Olympics, and will be sad when they are over.

Amy said...

Great decorations! Addy starts k Sept 3. We got a note from her teacher today in the mail. She'll be in afternoon k everyday. Justin can see the school from his office as it is right across the street. I'll take photos. And I've been DVRing the Olympics to watch later. I saw some of the diving and track and field.

Anonymous said...

WOW this was an action packed post! YAY for kindergarten! I am glad it is going well. The sconces turned out super cute. I can't wait to see them for real next week. I too am super excited for the book club retreat!

Colleen said...

I'm so glad Connor is liking school!

Those sconces really did turn out way cute. They look great in a pair. (Wow, worst unintentional pun EVER.) :)

Very cute family trees. Can't wait to see yours and Lara's.

I never really get into the Olympics. I know, I'm horrible. I did see Michael Phelps win a race by a hair though and that was pretty exciting.

Yeah, Bella is ANNOYING. She really does improve in book 4. Those books have been a serious guilty pleasure for me. I know the writing isn't fantastic, but the girl can spin a great yarn. I just wish she would have condensed a little and done three medium-length books instead of four super long ones. None of them were as good as Twilight, in my opinion, so don't expect the storytelling to improve. Just my two cents.

Janae said...

The fourth book is the best. Love the sconces. I've often thought about venturing out to the flee market.