Friday, August 29, 2008

Five for Friday

What I'm thinkin' 'bout today...

Is it OK for my son to wear my pink flip flops???
Lustrous. Youthful. Poetic. This is how Bath and Body Works describes my favorite new fragrance - Rainkissed Leaves. Not sure I feel lustrous youthful and poetic, but I sure love the scent! It is really light, clean and fresh.
Brian and I went to the Parade of Homes this week (thanks to our good friend Trent for comp tickets, who served as a judge for this year's parade; and to my mom-in-law for taking the kiddos). We agreed on our top home from the parade, La Belle Maison. Most of the homes (there were 8 this year) had things we loved (except for one house that I couldn't find anything redeeming about; it just felt cold and unwelcoming to me; I tend toward warmer, cozier homes).

It's fun to get ideas from the homes. One thing I noticed was that every kitchen had a bowl of fake lemons. Might have to get me some of them! Several also had fake artichoke heads, which were also darling!

It does make me wonder as I wander through 7, 8 and 9,000 square foot homes if I would ever really want a home that big (not that it would happen!). Would you??? They are dreamy, though!

We're getting closer to finalizing our Halloween costumes. I tried and tried to convince Connor to be an entomologist, but he is standing firm in wanting to be a firefighter. I found a homemade costume idea that looks cute that I think I can replicate. Lucas will be a cowboy, a costume from when Connor was that age. Isabel might just be a witch again - last year's costume was SO cute, and would probably fit her better this year. She also wants to be a paramedic or a butterfly catcher(???). Stay tuned!

Maybe it's what we get for backing to a field, but we've been doing some critter control as of late. Brian just destroyed 1 yellow jacket nest on our house and there is another one that needs to be destroyed. Then there's the bunny who had dug a hole under our fence and is eating our grass and leaving lovely little surprises all over the yard. And don't even get me started on the mice that have taken over the garage and (Brian thinks) the basement. Gross! We've got traps set, hope they catch the stinkin' things. And just this morning we watched a black widow spider devour a yellowjacket - seriously creepy! I'd never seen a real live black widow before. It was in our window well just outside a basement window. Talk about giving me the creeps!

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

Amy said...

I always loved the parade of homes. I totally agree about the home size; why? What do you put in 9,000 sq ft? Just a status symbol for the insecure. But fun to look at regardless. Addy's going as a butterfly this year and Trevor likely Jack Jack from the Incredibles (or Curious George)

Colleen said...

Elijah walks around in my heels all the time.

I seriously can't see ever having a house bigger than 4,000 square feet, even if I was a bajillionaire. Way too much space to clean. Even with a maid, which I would hope someone with a house that big would invest in.

Anonymous said...

I had lots to comment on but I am stuck on the BUGS!! I can't wait to tell Elizabeth about the mice tonight at book club!

Lara said...

We have no ideas for Halloween yet, as we are still trying to figure out how to do a fun Dora b-day for Grace. We have wasps- a million at least- and now I am afraid to go outside, and in the basement, as they are by the dryer vent.
A black widow eating a yellow jacket would put me over the edge! Could you please remove all critters, especially those with 8 legs, before November. Oh, and no snake hikes for me, thank you!
Pink flip-flops are just fine-Ben's favorite color is purple, and he is 4. At least he tells people "purple, not LAVENDER"!

Tee said...

I always enjoy the parade of homes. I agree, I would not want to live in a home that big, but there are always some really fun aspects of them :)

A black widow eating a yellow jacket-yikes! No thank you!

The Hardie Family said...

The Parade of Homes is fun to meander through, glad you got the chance to dream a little. I always go back to my little house and can barely keep that clean! I like your bkgd, it goes perfectly with your header. Ya, I found one I like too and I might just be brave enough to make it public! Thanks for the encouragement!

Elizabeth said...

Every boy needs to get in touch with his feminine side doesn't he? The lemons are a cute idea, they always look fresh. I'm glad you had fun at the parade of homes, but the thing is you have to come back to the real world. I'm glad you have a handle on halloween, I better get a move on it. Good luck with all the critters!

The Frosts said...

Excuse me? Look at what a big boy he is!! Standing up and looking like he's going to take over the world already. He's adorable and fear not, Carter still dresses up in some girly stuff occassionally! I love getting ideas from the parade of homes too but I must be alone thinking I would love a huge house to decorate and entertain in (6,000 sq. feet is probably my max though). I hope you get your infestation problem under countrol! Yuck!