Well that didn't take long. If you recall, the kiddos got goldfish for Christmas, 3 distinct fish that they each got to name: Dorothy (Connor), Whitey (Isabel), Brownish (Lucas).
This evening Connor told Brian that Whitey was "taking a nap." Brian checked on the fish and told Connor Whitey looked good and was swimming just fine. And then Brian noticed that Dorothy... well, she had gone bottoms up. Connor had gotten his fins crossed.
With the actual events explained, Connor shed a few tears and then learned that all good fish get flushed and then wind up in that great fish heaven in the sky. His first close encounter with death - never easy!
Maybe 20 minutes or so after saying goodbye to his little pet, Connor says to Brian and I, "that's so sad about Lucas's fish, huh?" Brian was like, "Connor, remember, Dorothy was your fish." Connor replied, "No it wasn't. I changed my mind."
Kids.
And goldfish.
It's a good thing they cost 12 cents. Although at this rate, that might add up real quick.
RIP Dorothy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Poor Dorothy. I hope the other two fare better.
Maybe they were trying the "great escape" like Nemo ...
Hilarious--love that Connor tried to swap pets after his died.
Ha ha! I got my first goldfish when I was about fifteen (sadly, my first pet ever) and then proceeded to go through eighteen of them in under a year. EIGHTEEN fish!!! I wish I had some good advice, but I'm a pro at killing fish. Good luck with the other two!
Good luck - I couldn't keep a fish alive when I was a kid, either.
So sorry to hear about Dorothy. I love the minds of young children! Once the fish make it through the initial shock, they can last a long time. Better luck next time- and yay for twelve cent fish!
So funny!
Not to tute my own horn, but if you need advise on rearing goldfish, we seem to have lots of luck in that arena. My first gold fish lived over 2 years. Now Lillian has 2 gold fish in her room that are coming up on the 2 year mark. We won them at a scouting activity for "free". I love how Connor changed him mind on which fish was his. Kids....you got to love it! Call me if you want to talk fish :-)
Looking back, I am grateful for goldfish. It's a great way to ease into the whole death thing. Fish, hamster, dog, etc... it's easier to explain about fish dying starting that type of discussion!
Post a Comment