Saturday, December 6, 2008

The winner(s)! and a TDF activity advent

I put all the names of those who left a comment for the Scrabble tile pendants, and decided to give away THREE pendants! I had Connor draw 3 names, and here are the winners!:

Congratulations! Amy and Barb, I need your new addresses. Please e-mail them to me at melissahowell2@yahoo.com. Barb, that pendant you mentioned is actually going to my sister-in-law, but if you like that paper, I have more of it and will try to make one as close to the one you liked as possible.

For those wanting tutorials on this cute craft, go to Just A Girl. Then go to her Nov. 10 post titled "Welcome to the Party" where she has a link to the tutorial. Just a Girl is one of my very favorite blogs for cute, inexpensive crafts and great home decorating ideas. I LOVE that girl (who by the way, entered my prize drawing. I felt almost famous there for a second ;) For those familiar with the craft, I had to order the Diamond Glaze and Aanraku stained glass silver plated bails. The bails I got from Etsy, I believe.

While you're on Just a Girl, you might notice the inspiration for my latest project, a darling twist on the increasingly popular activity advent calendars. You basically buy small matchboxes, cover them with Christmas scrapbook paper, and using stickers, number them 1 through 25. In each little box, you put a slip of paper with a different Christmas-related activity to do each day leading up to Christmas. Then put all the boxes in an apothecary jar, and tie with a Christmas ribbon. Each day in December, open a box and do that activity. Here's how mine turned out (I ran out of stickers for the last few boxes, will have to get more):

This is a fantastically fun project and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the end result. Our activities range from reading Christmas books under the light of the tree, to bringing cookies to neighbors, to doing Christmas crafts, to driving around looking at lights, to reading the story of Christ's birth in the Bible, and a few more adventurous outings that will be weather-dependent.

I'm off to host a Holiday brunch, followed by the big dance recital. Have a good weekend!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I won something! Yay-I never win. Thanks(Connor!) I'll send you photos of me wearing it. Happy dance recital! -Amy

Kristina said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love the matchbox advent. Love the glass holder, too. Cute!

Erica said...

YEAH!! I love the way your advent calendar turned out. What a very neat idea! I worked so hard coming up with 24 fun things to do leading up to Christmas. I wish I'd known you were going to do that in your advent calendar too. That way I could have used some of your ideas!!! We should swap and see what each other came up with.

Colleen said...

Cute advent! And thanks for posting where to find that tutorial, I'll definitely be checking it out.

The Frosts said...

I forgot to comment on your advent yesterday. It's so cute! What a fun idea! I love all the different ideas I've seen out there this year. This is adorable and fun memories!