Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lucas is 18 months!

Somebody stop the clock! Lucas is 18 months old today, and I cannot fathom - or accept! - that he is this old already.

Up until an hour ago, I was all ready to write this post about how much I simply adore this age. And then he had a super scary choking incident involving some noodles at lunch. The kind where his lips turned blue for a second and I had him upside down doing whatever I had to do get it out, followed by a big vomit. The kind where your heart literally stops with fear and you almost dial 9-1-1. Have you ever experienced that? I do not recommend it. I still have not recovered. And to top it off, after I got his breathing all cleared, and his little self all cleaned, calmed, and comforted, and re-fed with practically pureed food, he was back to his happy self. And then 10 minutes later fell off a dining room chair and split open his gums. I thought he had knocked out a tooth for a moment, thank heavens that wasn't the case. Now he's all cleaned up (again) and down safely in his bed for a long nap. This mothering thing is not for the faint-hearted, I tell you.

Aside from that, I really do love this age. He sleeps well and plays independently, yet still loves to snuggle and interact lots with us. And, he doesn't talk back yet! And I love the imaginations at this age, and the development of more advanced thinking/reasoning/problem solving skills.

Lucas is love, pure and simple. He brings immense joy to all of us. He is bright, funny, curious, independent, adorable, determined, wacky, and has a strong desire to keep up with everyone around him. He is always busy. He says a bunch of words, mostly first syllables of stuff. And he just started going to Nursery! That is joyous.

Currently, his favorite things are:
- All forms of transportation (cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters, etc)
- Music and dancing
- Balls
- Balloons
- Elmo in any form (stuffed, electronic, in a book, on TV)
- Animals
- Books
- Books
- Books
- And did I mention books?

Holy cow, I know most little ones love books, and he truly is crazy about books. He will sit forever if he's being read to, especially if I play the where is ___? game (where's the lion, where's the frog, where's the ball, where's the moon, etc). He will sit still for the entire Sacrament meeting at Church if he's being read to with the finding things game. I had to capture a few pictures detailing this book thing:
Getting angry b/c I wasn't meeting his book demands:

Clearing the bookcase looking for a book. He empties the bookcases in both kid rooms numerous times a day. It actually almost drives me mad b/c it is nearly impossible to keep them organized. I'm glad he loves books so much, but will be so happy when his pull-every-book-of-the-bookcase phase passes. Caught in action:

I love his cute point:

And here's a video the full sequence in action. Him asking for a book (we are working words rather than his sound to ask for things), and then when a lap is offered, he backs in just like a truck and plops down. He'll search for any unsuspecting lap and just drop himself in anytime, book in hand, so we've always got to be on guard.


If I could freeze him at this age for a few years, I think I would. Then again, after the lunch incident, maybe not.

13 comments:

Colleen said...

Again, you have SUCH beautiful kids!!!

Wendie said...

Uh oh! Sounds like quite an afternoon. I'm glad everything turned out OK. Lucas is adorable as usual.

Lara said...

Cute video! What a scary lunch time- choking is my nightmare. I still cut Ben and Grace's grapes in half.
Happy 18 months little Lucas! What a sweetheart.

Amy said...

I have to agree, Lucas is quite the heartbreaker. He is so cute! Does he stay awake for nursery? I kid you not, Trevor has fallen asleep during EVERY primary so far. They just lay him on his blanket in the corner, and he sleeps through all the songs. I just think he is used to it now and it is part of his routine or something. They do make me laugh at this age, but also like you were saying, can wear you down.

Mom H. said...

That's my grandson - all boy! What a little cutie he is! Give him a smooch from Nanna.

Love,
Mom H

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the scary morning. The video was so cute. Happy 18 months to Lucas, YAY for nursery time.

Kristina said...

Happy 18 months Lucas! I love your little voice, but will miss the Chinese-ish language. Scary choking! And the gum thing in one afternoon? No thanks! My biggest fear is also choking.

Elizabeth said...

Scary, scary! I hate those things that make your heart stop-I'm glad by days end it was all better-18 months is definitely a great age! I can't believe it's already time to go to nursery. Time flies when your're having fun with them. He's super cute.

taradon said...

Scary! Thanks goodness all is okay with the adorable Lucas.

Lori said...

What a cutie! And I'm glad he is ok. I can't believe how fast he is growing up. But that goes for all the kids.

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I absolutely love 18 months too! That is my favorite age. I don't think I could teach a bunch of them at one time. But individually it just doesn't get better than that!! I can't believe he's that old either. And I might just go with the not accepting it either. I am so glad you all survived your crazy afternoon. I have experienced similar myself, and nothing is scarier!
I am so HAPPY I get to see you on Friday!!!!! Talk soon!

Shayna said...

Oh Melisseee, I couldn't agree with you more! Ryan is just over 19 months now and if I could freeze this age for awhile I would (minus the scary incidents, of course). Lucas and Ryan sound so much alike... books, cars, talking. I wish we lived closer so they could play together. :-) Happy 1 1/2 birthday to Lucas!

The Frosts said...

He is too cute - those eyes kill me! And the book lover makes me so happy. The emptying of the book shelf would not make me happy but it's worth it in the end! I'm sorry about your scary morning! yikes but glad he's ok!