Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Total Tuesday Randomness

What's been going on in our week thus far...

1. The magic of ice cream. We've had back-to-back medical days, with dentist appointments for the kids yesterday and flu shots today. To be fair, Connor and Isabel did beautifully at the dentist, until Isabel's meltdown in the final moments. I am CONVINCED it's because Brian and I were there for the exam, while the kids were on their own for the cleaning and X-rays (how the practice prefers to do it). It just goes to show what a crutch parents can be; it's always good to offer a shot at independence, don't you think? Flu shots, however, were a bit more sketchy. I just keep picturing what we looked like to others sitting in the waiting area before the shots - when my kids were all in darling moods, telling me how beautiful I am, how they love me forever - and then after the shots, when I paraded out of there with three sobbing children, one of whom was having a major angry meltdown about having been held down for the shot. But a trip to Dairy Queen quickly remedied everything. It's amazing what a DQ sundae can do. Connor and Isabel both reported feeling much better after ice cream.

2. Bridge Over Troubled Water. Last night for Family Home Evening, Brian did a lesson on "Three Bridges" by President Monson from this month's issue of the Friend. To illustrate the message of building bridges of obedience, service and prayer to keep ourselves out of trouble, Brian built 3 elaborate lego bridges and put them across a water-filled tupperware container. Then he made little Lego men walk across the bridges, and showed how they fell off the bridges into the water (trouble). The kids LOVED this lesson, and have talked about it at length since. Then tonight, Isabel was being mean to Connor, which prompted Connor to say to me, in his best tattletale voice, "Mom, Isabel just fell off the bridge!"

3. The magic of vinyl. You might remember early in the summer I posted these lanters for Isabel's room that I found for a few dollars at the local hardware store:

I haven't quite known what to do with them. Then I remembered I have these little vinyl lettering words that I got for free for attending an Uppercase Living party last year. I love them on the lanterns:

Is that not so cute??? I still don't know what to fill them with, thought. Ideas? Candles? Ribbon?

4. Joy. Connor told me after school today that he loves school. My heart nearly burst with joy. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they got to watch a movie today.

6 comments:

taradon said...

Yay!! So happy to hear that Connor is liking school! And we have found Dairy Queen a good remedy for shots, too. ;) (Though for next year, consider FluMist - we did that this year and there were no shots and no tears!)

Anonymous said...

Ice cream makes me feel better too. That is great news about Connor liking school.

Lara said...

So glad that Connor likes school! Ice cream is a great remedy for many things- too bad they couldn't eat the ice cream while getting the shots! Love the craft, the letters did make a fun difference! I am so sorry that Isabel fell off the bridge- thank heavens she can get back on!

Paula said...

I caught up and the recent posts, the kids look so cute in the costumes. My kids always repeat thier costumes for two years, so I think that Isabel looked great as a cute witch. Reading this last posting makes me want the ice cream! Talk to you soon.

Amy said...

This year I had Justin and Grandma do the flu shots - I missed all the fun! I haven't found our DQ yet here.

Kristina said...

I am eating ice cream right now, listening to Nolan cry himself to sleep. Ice cream does make everything better-good thing Nolan doesn't know that yet! Yay for Connor liking school forever. Love the letters. HUGE difference. Nice lesson Brian. Miss you guys.