Don't you think a few select TV shows helped to define your childhood? Like Little House on the Prairie in elementary school, and The Cosby Show in later elementary/early junior high years. I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of TV growing up (it was always outside most of the time with us), and I did not have cable until - ready for this? - I was a junior in college. True story. I still don't care much about a lot of TV. Brian and I didn't even have cable for the first 6 years of our marrige. Now we mostly have it for the reception, 'cuz PBS stinks without cable hookup!
Anyways, now that I'm a mom, I, too, am selective about what my kids watch. Never have to worry with Sesame Street! And I'm woman enough to admit that I still love Sesame Street, and love watching it now through my kids' eyes. All 6 of them (eyes, not kids). When Sesame Street is on, you can usually hear a pin drop in my house they are so still. Exhibit A:

It is the most fun, clever, children's show ever. Guess that's why it's been on for nearly 40 years! Amazing. Isabel's favorite segment is "Meal or No Meal," with a puppet character that looks and acts like Howie Mandel, and crazy contenstants that have to identify whether the food options presented to them are meals or not meals. Pure genious, I tell you! And the things they learn. Exhibit B (from a fairly recent conversation with C and I):
Isabel: "What is your favorite dinosaur, mom?"
Me (thinking I was going to wow them with my knowlege and use of a really big word: "Oh, I like the Tyrranosaurus Rex."
Isabel, not missing a beat: "Oh, yeah, that's a good one. But I like the Triceratops!"
Me, masking my stunned silence, "How did you know about the Triceratops?"
Isabel: "I learned it on Sesame Street!"
Then she asked, "But why did all the dinosaurs die?"
Connor: "It's not called dying, it's called being 'stinct."
Me: "Connor, where did you learn about the dinosaurs being extinct?"
Connor: "From the animal doctor, you know, on Sesame Street, mom!"
And last, here's exhibit C: A chance to stroll down your own Sesame Street memory lane. Click here, and then play the promo segment from "Sesame Street Old School 2 (1974-1979)."
You might get hooked all over again (if you aren't already).
10 comments:
LOVED the link! I really want to buy it for Nolan. Sesame Street really is the greatest show ever. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street-a family tradition. I wonder if you can buy it anywhere? Thanks for the memories.
So cute. We really didn't want sesame street. I was in love with little house on the prairie.
I still love Sesame Street too! Elijah has been Sesame-brainwashed. He never asks me for a snack, he asks me for a "healthy snack." Love it. My favorite as a kid (and even now) was Bert and Ernie fishing. "Heeeere fishy fishy fishy!!!"
I to loved Sesame Street. My Isabel loved it too, but somehow my boys skipped over it and Phoebe loved it for a minute. With much older siblings she didn't have a chance. I remember the days when Big Bird was the only one who could see Snuffy-I love that they still play some of the same segments that I remember from my childhood, like the counting pinball machine. It's timeless and yet relevent.
I would love to find Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. It is my all-time favorite Christmas movie. Ever. Without a doubt. Do you remember the icicle hanging off of Big Bird's beak? I get the chills just thinking of how cold he must have been, sitting on the roof waiting for Santa? Just believe, Big Bird. Believe.
What a fun link. Isn't it amazing how much we remember? I loved the guys in the telephone booth, and I still sing the 1234 5 6 789 10 11 12 song all the time! :) Fun memories...thanks!
My ultra competitive brother and I (he's ultra competitive, I'm not) used to cheer/boast if they said our age was the number of the day or if the letter of the day was the first letter of our name. We watch PBS here a lot. Our favorite now is Curious George. Trevor actually lights up when we either watch or read about George. Addy loves it too, which is double bonus. I can get them both to watch!
I well remember my own kids being mesmerized by Sesame Street. I can still see in my mind the segment that taught the kids that "agua" meant "water." And Little House is STILL one of my favorite shows ever. Fun story! Thanks for the memories!
Love,
Mom H
Who doesn't love Sesame Street? I was just in Sea World where they had these adorable booths full of Sesame Street memorabilia. I wanted to buy almost everything. However, my kids had officially "out grown" wanting to buy Sesame Street toys. Oh well.
But by the way I do sing "One of these kids is doin' his own thing"..."Now it's time to play our game..." Of course it unfortunate that most of my third and fifth graders have not been as exposed to this wonderful show as I was. I then feel it my job to teach them. The Count has always been my favorite.
By the way I have missed talking to you. Life is in one of those insanely crazy times, but I hope to have time to catch up soon. I am glad you seem happy. Sesame Street has the power to do that!:)
I'm a fan of Sesame Street, too. It's been a big disappointment to me that my kids don't really care for it. =(
Post a Comment