Thursday, November 20, 2008

Blessings on the side

A little post here mainly for myself, to document how my freelance writing career has developed...

When I left Children's, it was very difficult to give up my career and my salary. But I wanted to stay home with Connor more than anything. It was sort of a leap of faith when I quit my job, just jumped with both feet and watched where things landed. I remember saying to Brian shortly before Connor was born, "I'd love to do freelance writing, but I wonder if anyone would ever hire me?" He thought I was crazy to doubt. I always doubt, and he always thinks I'm crazy for doubting.

Now, 5 years later, I have rarely been without freelance projects; especially the past 3 years or so I have had steady work. I haven't had to really seek any of it, it's all sort of "fallen in my lap" so to speak. And it's been such a blessing, keeping my hand in the industry and providing that extra income that fills some gaps. I average about 8 to 10 hours of work a week. I've got a bunch of projects wrapping up/starting now, including:
- I am just finishing up a 9-month project for The Medical Center of Aurora, writing new content for their website
- In October I started a 1-year contract for a new client, a national IT consulting firm specializing in healthcare. I am a marketing communications copywriter.
- I was just hired to write part of a huge annual report for the Department of Pediatrics at The Children's Hospital/University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
- I was just asked to write a couple of articles for a nearby school district's in-house publication
- This winter I am going to do some media relations consulting for the Girl Scouts of Colorado

I am so grateful for how things have come along, knowing my choice to stay home with my kiddos has paid off in so many ways. A true blessing.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

That is so cool. I often wish I had thought a little bit more about at-home opportunities when I chose my major. I'll be a pro at teaching my kids to love the arts, but that doesn't really work as a side job. :)

Amy said...

I am glad you can continue to do some things on the side that you love to do. Once you do a good job on one thing, your name gets passed around. A great way to get business! I am convinced that raising kids is fun and rewarding, but balancing it with some things you like is also good. And I am telling you, IT software for healthcare is exploding right now. I am loving being a part of it, too.

Kristina said...

I wish they had freelance teaching! Well, I guess that is tutoring but whatever. It sure is a leap of faith to give up that salary, but worth it every moment. Great work Melis.

Lori said...

That's so great. I remember how worried you were when you quit. I am thrilled it has worked out so well!

Lara said...

What a great opportunity to be a stay at home mom, but also help contribute to the family finances.

Amanda said...

That is fabulous! I often worry about staying at home and feeling like I'm losing my mind! I would love to be able to do something from home.