Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween 2008


Another successful Halloween has come again, topped off by one of the warmest Halloweens on record here. It was dreamy to not have to bundle up at all this year!

Connor had a fun party at kindergarten, even though costumes are not allowed in his school. And trick-or-treating was exciting as ever! Really, few events in childhood can compete with Christmas, birthdays and Halloween. It really is the culmination of all things child. On to this year's costumes...

Connor wanted to be a fireman in a firetruck. So, I made his fireman costume out of a black sweat suit, yellow duct tape, yellow felt for the collar and wording on back, and an iron-on U.S. flag patch. And always artistic Brian made the firetruck out of a cardboard box, some glue, paint and rope. I especially liked the fire department insignia he made. Connor LOVED his costume, and got TONS of compliments on it:


You might recognize Isabel's witch costume. Yep, it's the same costume as last year. Cop out, I know. But it is SO CUTE and was a little bit too big last year, so this year it fit her perfectly. She was fine being a witch again, as long as it would net her as much candy as possible. I can't even begin to articulate how much this one loves candy. The mere mention of the word sends her bouncing off the walls. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

And my little cowboy Lucas. Couldn't you just eat him? With those chaps on, he even walked like he just got off a horse! He TOTALLY grasped the concept of trick-or-treating, but wanted to carry all of his candy in his hands, leaving a little candy trail after him. We quickly had to relegate him to the stroller and collect for him. Oh, this little personality (that isn't so little!). He has a HUGE case of keeping-up-with-everyone-else-itis. Doesn't miss a thing, this one.

And the haul, after all peanutty treats had been removed:


Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

15 comments:

Lara said...

Cute costumes! I love the fire truck, the witch is adorable, and the little bow-legged cowboy is so handsome! Looks like fun!

Kristina said...

Great costumes. Brian really does well with the automobile creation. Maybe his missed his true calling with TOYota. :) I love that Isabel has grape nerds open in her picture of all the candy. Sugar coated sugar-her favorite! Lucas is such a crack-up. Younger siblings are so much different than oldest, huh? Happy Halloween.

Erica said...

Your kids costumes were great! Especially all the work that Connor's took- it turned out GREAT!! It was fun talking to you at the school party- a little crazy, but fun.

The Easton Family said...

Great costumes! And if recycling costummes is a cop-out, then I'm guilty three times over! We opened our costume box a couple of weeks ago and the boys were so excited to choose something that I just went with it and counted my blessings not to have to buy or make anything this year! Glad you had a great time, and glad Connor got such a great stash peanut-free! :)

Mom H. said...

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE! Great costumes! I, too, am in awe of Brian's talents. (Must be that eye for detail.) And I LOVE that the costumes are homemade. Good job, Mom & Dad!
Love,
Mom H

Colleen said...

I love that Isabel is gazing lovingly at her candy stash in the last photo. Too funny! Awesome costumes, as always. :)

Amy said...

That's a lot of loot! Fun costumes.

Amy said...

That's a lot of loot! Fun costumes.

Susan said...

Cute costumes! Lily lost half her loot due to nuts, too. At one house, they were handing out full-size Snickers bars and Jared told the lady "She's allergic to nuts" so the lady took the Snickers back and gave Lily and Butterfinger instead. (Huh!?! Butter as in Peanut Butter! We laughed about that later.) That's okay, Fred and I were happy to "take care" of the confiscated candy from Lily's basket. :)

taradon said...

Looks like a wonderful Halloween at your house!

Elizabeth said...

The costumes look great, and so do your kids as always. I'm so impressed by your skills with Connor's costume. I wish I had some of that in me. It looked like everyone had a great time!

The Frosts said...

Your kids look awesome! Those are some great costumes - the fireman and truck is so cool! I am LOL about Lucas and keeping up - I think I have one of those on my hands too. Is it a third child thing? glad you guys had great weather too!

Thekla and Grayson said...

It looks like you had a blast, holidays are way more fun with kids don't you think? (and of course I love the costumes!)

The Calverts said...

LOVE the costumes! Brian could seriously market his fire engine creation -- so clever.

The Hardie Family said...

I love seeing all of your costumes. You guys are so creative! I still remember the bee theme you had when Connor was a baby. I'm glad it was a great Halloween! It was fun to see Monique's name in your blog. I haven't asked you about her for a while. I checked out her blog too. Thanks for keeping us informed!