Sunday, March 30, 2008

You're looking kinda green...

We had planned a nice family dinner for Friday night. Late in the afternoon, we got a call to meet with one of the members of the Bishopric. So, we had a slightly hurried dinner, after which we found ourselves in the Bishop's office. Shortly after our arrival, Brother Easton extended a call to Brian to be the new gospel doctrine teacher. No sooner were the words, "gospel doctrine teacher" out of his mouth, Lucas vomited all over the Bishop's office. For.real. So we're all on our hands and knees cleaning up the mess and talking about what a daunting task it will be to take over for the current teacher. For background, she's been teaching that class for 3 1/2 years, and is pretty much legendary. People are always raving about her lessons. Not that I'd know, I have been in various Primary callings the whole time.

As we're discussing this, Brother Easton asks Brian how he's feeling about things. Brian responds with something like, "I think I might do what Lucas just did. "

Brian was sustained today. So today during testimony meeting Brian got up and mentioned what big shoes he has to fill, and when he sat down our RS President slipped him this note:


All craziness aside, I think Brian will do a great job, and this will be a great calling for him. And really, he doesn't have to fill anyone's shoes, he just has to bring his own strengths to the calling - and I know he will. And for the record, Lucas just had the one episode and that was it. I think dinner was a bit rich for his little tummy. Crazy timing, though - it's the only time he's thrown up in his 9 1/2 months!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny we were just talking about the Hamilton's moving to my ward the other day. Interesting about Lucas throwing up and Brains comments about he was feeling!

The Easton Family said...

I love that story! Brian will do fantastic--can't wait!

Kristina said...

Way to go Brian. Gospel Doctrine-piece of cake! (Yah, right!) That is one calling that would be soooo hard to prepare for. The teachers always seem so smart. I guess you must be, or something... Sorry about the puke.

Tiffany said...

Well, it sure is a miracle that Lucas had never puked before that...all babies I know puke all the time!! That really is such a funny story, such great timing :)

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I plan on sitting in the back of the class giving Brian hand signals for when he gets lost in the lesson. Hope nobody videotapes our signals!

The Frosts said...

GD is a scary, scary calling. He'll do a wonderful job though, I'm sure! And sorry about the puking episode but I love Brian's answer to the question. Let us know how his first lesson goes!

Susan said...

My mom did that calling in your ward, once upon a time, too. Perhaps there is a legacy to it - and I'm sure Brian will do great! NO PRESSURE! :)

Lori said...

Brian will do great! That was one of Andrew's favorite callings. He loves teaching.