Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another dinner saga/"the look"

Tonight's dinner goal was to get Isabel to eat some veggies, specifically some plain-old frozen carrots (cooked of course). She wasn't eating them (as usual), so I decided to go the bribing route. I told her if she ate her carrots she could have a little bowl of ice cream. Isabel is my true candy girl, and is very motivated by sweet treats. At the mention of ice cream she pushed her plate away and declared, "I'm done!" But I firmly told her she would not be getting any ice cream unless she ate some carrots. She took a big bite, and chewed ... and chewed ... and chewed. After a number of minutes chewing that bite of carrots, she said, "I don't like it," and made a motion to spit them out. I told her that if she spit them out, she still doesn't get the ice cream, but the carrots actually have to make it to her stomach. After several more minutes she got down from her chair, disappeared under the table for a minute, then came up with an empty mouth. Hmmmmm. I was on to her, and quickly got down under the table, only to find this:


I then told her rather than a big bite, she just needed to eat 1 teeny tiny carrot. Wouldn't do it. As badly as she wanted that ice cream, she would not eat one little carrot. So she didn't get the ice cream, and I was now on the receiving end of "the look." Isabel is infamous for giving this look. Let me tell you, it is not pleasant.

Seriously, I have got some truly stubborn/strong-willed children.

4 comments:

Tee said...

For a 2 y/o, she has got quite the personality! I love it!

Kristina said...

I just love that look. Being on the receiving end really isn't too much fun, though. I love seeing what I have to look forward to with Nolan. At least you can never say life is boring!

Lori said...

Wow- A picture is worth a thousand words. I should capture some of Lillian's looks. Sometimes they say it all. Have you read the cookbook the Sneaky Chef? She has tons of ideas on how to sneak in veggies to normal foods. (I guess there is even a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that has Chick Peas in it and you can't even tell!) I guess we all have our battles. Your kids sleep like angels but are little devils at the table, mine are the reverse. Good luck!

Brittany said...

I love it. It is amazing how long they will hold our for something they really don't want to do or eat!