Thursday, March 13, 2008

Seven random things

I was tagged by Monique to share 7 random things about me. Here ya go:

1. I’m a geography and weather nerd. I have been known to read maps and atlases for fun, and I was one of the top geography students in the entire 7th grade because I actually enjoyed memorizing where countries/peninsulas/rivers/etc are located. Although, I will fully admit that I don’t do as well in the “blue” category of Trivial Pursuit as I’d like (Brian finds this rather amusing). And weather fascinates me. In fact, call me a major geek, but I have signed up for a “weather spotter” class being held next month by my city.

2. I have been whale watching 4 times (twice in Alaska, once in California, once in Massachusetts).

3. I am striving for well-mannered, respectful children. This is one of my biggest goals as a mom. When my kids want something, I want them to always say “please.” And when they receive something, I want them to say “thank you.” Nicely. And without prompting. I think they’re already well on their way to having this down, as their conversations between each other often include their Ps & Qs.

4. I’m a wannabe rock star. Beware a long-winded response here. I was pretty much born with a passion for dancing and music (voila, rock star!). I started dancing when I was almost three, and took lessons for years. My first recital:

And in high school, I was on the pom-pom squad (my school’s version of a dance team at the time). I was co-captain my senior year:
From the time I was young, I have been making up dance routines (not so much these days). I also developed a passion for music of all kinds, especially rock, at a young age. In elementary school, I was always a “punk rocker” for Halloween, and used to dream about being in a rock band. Even not that many years ago:


A number of years ago, I won an air-guitar contest at a ward activity. For real. Me and a whole lotta guys, and I won. Although my tastes have really mellowed (you’re more likely to find me listening to stuff along the folk rock and lighter classic rock lines of Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills and Nash, John Denver, James Taylor, Bob Seger and Cat Stevens, I will occasionally pull out an old GNR song (hello, Sweet Child O Mine?) or Def Leopard song (Pour Some Sugar on Me) and have a rockin’ dance party with my kids. They love dance parties. One last thing here. I have about a dozen radio stations programmed in my van, and have a channel-changing obsession. And I have them programmed numerically chronological, and in order to get to a certain station, I have to do the entire rotation in order. It has been this way for years, and I am physically unable to change it. This generally drives everyone nuts who ever rides with me.

5. I have never colored my hair – ever. Not a highlight, nothing. I have more and more gray hair by the day. At some point this likely will force a change, but I’m holding out. And plucking. I’ve always been fine with my super dark hair color, but now is when I begin to curse it.

6. I have never had a strong desire to travel to Europe. Not like I wouldn’t go if offered a free trip, but I would choose several destinations before Europe: Peru, South Africa, an Antarctic cruise, Australia and Japan. Fortunately, Brian’s in agreement with at least half of these.

7. I love vanilla-flavored things (I always choose vanilla ice cream over chocolate), but generally don't like vanilla-scented things. Although, "Fresh Vanilla" at Bath and Body Works isn't half-bad!


And now I tag Jeannie, Tiffany, Lori, Susan and anyone else who wants to play along!








3 comments:

The Easton Family said...

Alright Melissa... watch for the answers soon. I do have to say that we really should be better friends. Every day at 4:30 my family knows that I'm watching 9news weather. Physical geography was my favorite class at Ricks, and I used to label blank maps for fun in elementary school. I can't take a road trip without the atlas in my lap; usually turned to a page where we are not even travelling! And the radio channels in the car... Evan hates it when I control the radio. Thanks! This will be fun.
Rockin' pictures of you by the way! :)

Tee said...

Melissa, I am totally the same way with my radio in the car. It drives Mark completly insane! I am a control freak and just keep pushing buttons until I find a song I like/can sing along to. I have to go in up and down order, meaning that I push the buttons in order of column instead of rows. It must be a girl thing.

The Frosts said...

Oooh... your randomness is so GOOD! I love it. I totally learned new things about you. Ok, I love weather too and it cracks me up that you are taking a class. And the rock star pictures are hilarious! Thanks for playing.