- Two people ended up being shot that day. And two suspects have been arrested. The police say it was gang related. Lovely.
- I did call the police department last night to tell them about Kevin. I talked to someone there, told them my story. She put me on hold for a bit, then said they wanted me to leave a message with my info, name and number for the director of homicide and major crime. (how in the world did I get here?). I left him a message, we’ll see if he gets back to me.
- The kids seem to be over it, with one small exception. Yesterday was beautiful, it was 65 degrees. I had a work meeting in the afternoon, so Brian took the kids to the park (a different park). But as they were driving there, they drove past “the” park. At that time, Connor said to Brian, “Dad, is the same thing going to happen today that happened yesterday?” And Brian said, “No. What happened yesterday?” And he said, “Kids were being mean and mommy was crying.”
Tonight we had one of our favorite babysitters over while we went to dinner. She is one of the Young Women from church; she’s a senior in high school. When she got here, I sort of bombarded her with questions (poor Audrey!). I asked her if she knows anything about the shooting. She replied she knows that one of the kids who got shot goes to nearby Rangeview High School (she goes to Gateway, a bit father away). I told her it was apparently gang-related, and she replied (almost nonchalantly), “yeah, probably the Bloods and the Crips.” Uh, is this common knowledge? I was asking her all about gangs in school. She said there is definitely a presence, that gang fights have to be broken up from time to time. The day after this shooting she said there were police officers surveying her school all day.
I hate that I am posting about this. Forgive me as I work through my layered emotions. I'm having a difficult time getting over this.
2 comments:
Hey, don't apologize. There was an appalling lack of news coverage on it (appalling because stuff like this is everyday news apparently) so I, for one, am glad to have a little more info. I'm sure the nightmares will pass. I saw a girl get hit by a car once and would get panicky and sick every time I passed that corner for awhile. But it subsided with time.
People have choices to make and some make poor choices, for a variety of reasons. We never had gangs at my high school though. We had a few fights, but never huge gang stuff. I watch a lot of Judge Judy, and often these people in groups get more violent, whereas someone alone usually doesn't have the guts. Where are these kids families? It's sad. Well, let me know if you need anything while Brian is gone.
Post a Comment