Connor and Isabel had dentist appointments this afternoon, and I have to say how very much I love their dental practice,
A Wild Smile. Both kids get a little freaked out with the whole process, especially Connor. But the dentists and hygienists are SO GOOD with them. They really get kids, and go out of their way to relate to the kids and make them comfortable. Since it was Isabel's first cleaning, they gave her a "safari passport" and took her on a tour of the office, and she was given stickers to put on the pages for each tour stop. And Connor really has a difficult time with them doing anything in his mouth. The dentist, recognizing Connor's issues, opted for the paint-on fluoride, rather than the the foamy stuff. When he told Connor he was going to paint Captain Hook on his teeth, the struggle was over and Connor totally let him go for it - and then spent the next hour looking for a hook on his teeth. :)
I'm just grateful they turned what was looking like a futile attempt into a successful dental visit! The office is so cute, with a fantastic jungle theme (stuffed snakes, frogs and monkeys hang down from trees over the patient chairs). In addition to new toothbrushes and other teeth goodies, they each got to choose 2 prizes, 1 for getting their teeth cleaned and 1 for no cavities. And, they get a sugar-free sucker on the way out. Love it!

4 comments:
Wow what a great idea, where were these when we were kids, and more importantly, why don't they have offices like this for adults?
Cool office! Ours has toys but not any cool themes. But I have to admit, being a pediatric dentist must be the life. I mean, for Addy's first appointment, all they did was count her teeth (for $60.00). I could have done that and phoned it in! But it is good to go for the habit and experience. (And the great fun!) PS-they actually do clean her teeth now so I can't complain anymore.
I wish I could find something like that here. I guess I should look a bit harder.
Wow.. that is the coolest dentist office I've ever seen.
Post a Comment