Monday, November 5, 2007

So what do you do all day?

A question my husband (innocently and nicely) asked me the other day, in an attempt to understand what it's like to be an at-home mom. I think I replied something like, "I don't even know, but I can assure you it doesn't involve sitting down." And my mom (who has 5 children) says she knows life was crazy raising young children, and she doesn't know how she got it all done. Today was just one of those busy mom days, so I thought I would document my day so someday when I wonder what it was like having little ones and how the days flew by, I can have a glimpse back. Today, I:

Woke up at 6:30
Fed Lucas
Took a moment to snuggle my three kiddos
Made and fed kids breakfast
Cleaned the kitchen
Vacuumed and dusted
Bathed Lucas
Got Isabel and Lucas dressed (Connor dresses himself thankfully)
Helped brush little teeth
Did kids' hair
Got myself preschool-drop-off presentable
Brought Connor to school
Showered and got myself ready
Brought Isabel (and Lucas) to gymnastics class (which is already going MUCH better - yay!)
Came home, unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen/dining room floor
Picked up Connor from school
Made and fed kids lunch
Cleaned up the kitchen
Put the two youngest ones down for naps
Did 2 hours of work on my freelance projects
Got the nappers up, did some laundry
Ran to the grocery store
Cooked dinner for a girl I visit teach who just had a premature baby
Delivered dinner
Came home, fed dinner to my family
Started to clean the kitchen
Did Family Home Evening
Bathed Connor and Isabel, put them to bed
Entertained Lucas for an hour, then put him to bed
Folded laundry
Finished cleaning the kitchen at 9:30
Now I'm taking a moment to relax for a bit before I wake up and it starts all over again!

And this doesn't even count all the nursings/diaper changes/answering all of Connor's questions and other things that happen throughout the day...

I know all you moms have days just like this every day too (some of you probably do way more!). Sometimes, though, with the glaring absence of job reviews, raises, promotions, etc., I think it's important to take inventory of all we do. Don't you just once in a while wish, though, that if someone asks "what did you do all day?" you could say, "watched movies, ate ice cream and took a nap!"

My mom and I, and friends and I, often talk about seasons of life and how there's never a happy medium. Sometimes I long for a quiet moment alone. Someday that's mostly what I'll have, and I'll probably long for the crazy days when my hands and schedule were full as can be. So I guess the moral is to try to enjoy what you have, because it's sure to change before you even know what hit you.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Great post! Yes, I would sure like to be eating bon bons and watching tv all day, but alas... :)

Anonymous said...

Our work is never done it seems! I hope (I forgot her name, with the preemie) is OK. Let her know she can call me if she needs someone to talk to :)

Brittany said...

Boy I have to say since I went back to work full time I get so much more done during the day!! Staying at home was way harder than going to work all day, good for you!!