Thursday, November 22, 2007

A new bundle of joy to be thankful for

Welcome Nolan Edison Jones! My sister Kristina had a baby boy in the wee hours of this Thanksgiving morning. This is her first baby, and she had the exact same experience that I had with Connor. Apparently, the women in our family DO NOT dilate. It's crazy!

Kristina and I both labored with our firsts for 16 or 17 hours and never dilated fully, even with pitocin. Then the babies went into distress with periods of dangerously low heart rates and oxygen levels. We both ended up with emergency C-sections, and found out our babies both had the cords wrapped around their necks - twice. Deja vu! (and my mom and other sister, Lara, both had problems going into labor and dilating). Clearly runs in the family. When my water broke with Connor and I was having heavy contractions, I was a zero (eventually made it to a 9 before the c-section). I never even remotely went into labor and never got past a zero with Isabel, even though I went past my due date. She came C-section. And I went into hard labor with Lucas, and was a zero. He came C-section, too.

Anyways, I am happy my new nephew is happy and healthy! And Lara, who is due in April, just found out on Monday that she's having a girl. So, in my family, with Lara's baby in April, there will be 4 boys and 3 girls. That's 7 babies in 5 years for my sisters and I. Busy, busy! Neither of my brothers is married yet, so they won't be contributing to the craziness for a while.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Yay! Congrats to Kristina and Ted!

Kristina said...

Thanks for posting about our little guy! He is just doing wonderfully and we are so happy that he is here. Crazy that our little guys decided to arrive the same way. Whew!

Lori said...

I went back and read it again to refresh my memory! Congrats Kristina! I'm glad that everything turned out well.