Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gymnastics update

Isabel is halfway through her first gymnastics class, and Monday was parent observation day. Isabel is slowly warming up to gymnastics; she loves some aspects of it, and is not so into other parts (mainly being told what to do). They rotate between the beam, bars, floor and jumping stations each class. She definitely prefers floor and jumping. I can't even get her to sit on the beam, much less walk on it. So Brian, who was there for observation day and wanted something to observe, took matters into his own hands and placed her on the beam and helped her walk.

She was fine for a few moments, until she realized she'd been duped. Then, she REALLY let him (and all of us) have it. I mean, she really had a lovely little tantrum. The teacher, who is fantastic, is on to her tactics and knows she can be distracted with the hand stamps, which are usually reserved for the end of each class. They really are Isabel's favorite part of class.

She eventually got happy and did perform a few "tricks," including "jumping" over these colored cones, one of her favorite activities.



She's pretty much infamous in her class - everyone knows when she loves something, and when she doesn't. :)

2 comments:

The Frosts said...

Super cute. Makenna is obsessed with watching the video. I love that she has a love/hate relationship with the class. It's just so appropriate for the age. Are you going to sign her up again?

Melissa said...

Probably. The classes run in 7- and 8-week sessions, so we'll likely give it another couple of shots. I'd really like to start her in dance next fall, we may have to choose one at that point. We'll see. She overall enjoys gymnastics and has already made some progress, so I'd like to keep building on that for now. Two-year-old girls are interesting! :)