Thursday, November 8, 2007

Say what?

I've been asked to speak at an "Advocacy Lunch & Learn" event at The Children's Hospital later this month. I will be part of a parent panel, along with two or three other parents, to discuss the importance of parents advocating for their children's health care needs and how public policy/legislative decisions related to children's health matter to families. As many of you know, Connor has been diagnosed with mild autism. When my friend and former co-worker at Children's asked me to participate, I first thought, "there must be parents who have done a lot more than me." But, the point they want to get across is that if everyone does their part, no matter how big or small, collectively this makes a big difference. So, I've been mulling this over for the past week or two and need to start getting my thoughts on paper. I need to speak for about 10 minutes about Connor's story and what we have done, and then be prepared for a question and answer session. I really don't mind public speaking, and have done a fair amount in previous jobs, as long as I am comfortable with what I am saying. I'm not the best impromptu speaker.

When Connor was first diagnosed, Brian and I decided our job, as his parents, was to understand who Connor is and give him what he needs to be the best person possible. And really, isn't that the job of all parents, no matter what the situation may be? A few things we've done, including a few points I've been asked to mention:

- Got Connor tested and into early intervention (speech therapy)
- Were willing to share our story with Channel 4 as part of Early Intervention Awareness Day. Anchor Molly Hughes came to our home for the interview, which aired on Channel 4 in April 2006.
- Were willing to have Connor's story featured on The Children's Hospital website (click on "about Children's" and then on "stories of getting better," and find Connor's story; this was done over a year ago, before the actual autism diagnosis)
- I have written stories on autism for publications at Children's
- We work with Connor's teacher and therapists at school to make sure his needs/our goals are being met
- Joined Children's Advocacy Network, and respond to legislative alerts when issues are of importance to me
- Participated in a research study (today in fact) where doctors and researchers are studying physical features in kiddos with autism spectrum diagnoses.

It's been interesting to me to transition from employee to parent (and consultant) at Children's. On a side note, Lucas has to have surgery there next month to correct his hypospadius, a disorder in which the urethra opens on the underside of the penis, not at the tip. It's a common, minor procedure, but he has to have general anesthesia for the surgery. Not looking forward to that. But Children's really is a special place, the kind of place you don't want to have to use, but are grateful for it when you do. And the brand-new Children's just opened in September, and it is beautiful!

Anyways... I'm hoping I can put some coherent thoughts together and be a good contributer to the advocacy event! And then there's the whole "what to wear" dilemma...


3 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow, what a big responsibility! Good luck!!!

Brittany said...

You have done a lot. I will be excited to hear how it goes for you.

The Frosts said...

What an amazing honor. I know you'll be awesome. I think you're a really proactive mom and have done a ton for him. Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK!!