"S" is for spacey. A friend of mine, who is expecting her third child, recently asked if you get crazier with each pregnancy. I don't know if I got crazier, but I can sadly, but definitely, say I've gotten spacier. For years I gave my mom a hard time about being spacey and losing things, forgetting simple things, etc. My favorite was what I used to call the "where's my purse" game. My mom was the best at setting her purse somewhere, and within a few brief moments, panicking because she couldn't find it. It actually used to drive me nuts. Well, now, I've developed some understanding, and even some sympathy. If I'm losing it after three kids, imagine what five did to her!
Just the other day, I was talking to my brother. I had just gotten out of the shower when he called, and I told him I needed to set the phone down for a minute while I threw on a shirt. And, in that 10 seconds, I completely forgot that I was talking to him and started to clean the bathroom. After a few moments, I saw the phone sitting there and realized my brother was still on it. He was roaring with laughter when I explained that I forgot we'd been talking. It wasn't as funny to me - it's just another sad example of my failing brain function.
And I don't even know how many times a day I walk into a room for something, and upon arrival, I have absolutely no idea what I went there for. It sometimes drives me out of my ever-lovin' mind (what's left of it, anyway). And one more example: I was talking to someone last month about something that happens in November, and for some reason I started talking as though it was February, and November was months ago. Am I going crazy???
I don't think I've completely lost it. I do have moments of clarity from time to time, and I can remember long-term details with the best of them (like phone numbers from friends in high school!) But that short-term memory thing? Out the window, along with my single-digit-sized jeans and carefree days. Hope my kids inherited all the brain power I've lost.
On a side note, my advocacy speech is tomorrow (if I remember to show up). Brian helped me put the finishing touches on it last night, and today I bought a cute new pair of pants to wear, so I should be all set!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck on your speech tomorrow. We're looking forward to hearing how it went.
I am telling you fish oil has been a life savor. After I had Abby and went back to work, I was so lost, I couldn't remember anything to save my life. My sister recomended it and I have been using it ever since, it really does help!!
Too funny! I don't think I've started to experience this yet, but give me another kid or two and I'll let you know!
Post a Comment