Thursday, September 6, 2007

Imagination at work

Pretend play is one of the areas in which Connor has been a bit behind; he really just started doing nice pretend play within the last 6 months. So, when I see him doing some nice pretend play, it really makes me smile. The other day he and his puppies (from left to right: old yellow puppy, new yellow puppy and white puppy) had quite an adventure. He loaded them up in a wagon, and they all drove through the "drive-through." This is a narrow walkway between a chair and a wall. He pulled up to an outlet, and ordered like this: "Yes, I will have a cheeseburger and some chicken nuggets." A pause, and then: "No, that's it." He collected their food, and then they drove to a Rockies game. He lined them all up like they were in Coors Field, and then explained to the puppies how baseball is played: "Someone hits a ball like this (makes a bat-swinging motion), and then everyone yells 'yay!'" So that's baseball in a nutshell to my 4-year-old. It was pretty cute.

And then today at lunch, Isabel was dipping her pretzel stick into her berry yogurt, which was a pretty pink color, and then painting it on her fingernails. Again, she's such a GIRL!

6 comments:

Wendie said...

Yay!! for pretend play. That's awesome. I want to go through the drive-through with Connor. When did new yellow puppy come to be??

Melissa said...

New yellow puppy joined us early last spring. Yellow puppy went missing for a week, and I couldn't watch Connor desperately missing his special puppy another minute. So I ordered a new yellow puppy online, and explained to C that I found yellow puppy, and he's arriving by mail in a few days. As things like this often go, within a few hours of ordering a new one, I found yellow puppy. I showed C the next morning, and he couldn't believe yellow puppy came in the mail! I explained that I found regular yellow puppy in our house, and that a new one was still going to arrive in the mail. It's a good thing I found the old one, b/c the new one is not nearly as well loved. He likes it and carries it around now and then, but nothing can replace his long-time buddy.

Amy said...

I always have to smile at stories like these! Pretend play can be so funny.

Wendie said...

Oh, yeah. I remember now.

Brittany said...

I am glad to see that he still has his puppy and loves it just as much!

The Frosts said...

So cute! I love watching my kids pretend - their little imaginations are pretty incredible. Love the names of his dogs. Oh, and Isabel and the yogurt nail polish is a hoot.