Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Hikers

We love to hike. And we start 'em young - each of our children has been hiking as an infant. When we were engaged, Brian bought me this book: "Colorado's Best Wildflower Hikes." We have used it extensively. It highlights 50 great hikes, whether you're into the wildflowers or not (I am). Since we got married, Brian and I (and subsequent children) have tried to hike every Memorial Day and Labor Day, and then have a BBQ with friends. We also try to do other hikes throughout the summer when possible. And selecting music to listen to on the drive up adds to the fun. Since Brian has to cover the CO Rockies game on Monday, we moved our Labor Day hike to today. When I asked the kids what music we should bring, Connor and Isabel both yelled out, "John Denver!" Excellent mountain music choice, kids. Brian thinks they're brainwashed. I say they're well trained. Anyway, we went on a great hike this morning in the always beautiful mountains. The kids were absolute troopers! We did a 2-mile hike, and Connor did the whole thing with very little complaining. He had no choice but to walk, as Brian and I carried the younger children. I had Lucas in the Baby Bjorn, and Isabel was in the hiking backpack on Brian's back. She kept talking about her "sweet ride." She also walked part of the hike. Lucas slept most of time.



And, of course no hike is complete without a snack and water break/rest stop halfway through.
The day ended with a slightly embarrassing experience for Melissa. We stopped at a sub shop for lunch after the hike. While I was in the bathroom, the door started to open. And I KNOW I locked it. It was a one-staller. I started yelling "there's someone in here!" but the door CONTINUED TO OPEN. Suddenly I found myself staring at Connor - and the entire restaurant! I don't know how he opened it. I yelled to him, "Get in or get out and SHUT THE DOOR!" Fortunately, it was a quiet lunch hour. I think the only one who witnessed it was an employee, who gave me a big grin as I exited the bathroom. I just shrugged, smiled sheepishly, and went on my merry way.

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun hike. Plus look at the FUN bathroom story you will get to be reminded of FOREVER.

Wendie said...

That is hilarious!!! I can totally picture the scene. Love the pictures!! Everyone looks so bright and healthy. Must be that good mountain air - a Colorado Rocky Mountain high . . .

Lori said...

I am jealous of your mountains. They were beautiful when I came to visit so very long ago. Hiking sounds like such a great family activity. And your bathroom story is great! Although I am sure you didn't think so at the time.....

The Frosts said...

Wow. I am so impressed you went hiking with 3 kids. For real, that's amazing. Ok, the bathroom story is really, really funny. At least you'll never see the people again.