Friday, August 3, 2007

Scary thought

Being a MN native and University of Minnesota grad, the Minneapolis bridge collapse has hit close to home. And not just because I used to live really close to it and drove over it to go to work. Or that I used to see it every day walking to class. But there is a chance we could have been on the bridge on Wednesday. I have a family reunion this weekend, and until recently we were planning to go. But b/c of Brian's promotion, we had to change our plans (we're going at Christmas instead). We were going to drive to MN on Tues. or Wed. this week, and would have driven over the bridge on our way up north - most likely on Wednesday. And, my brothers live a mile from the bridge. My one brother debated driving home on 35E or 35W on Wednesday during rush hour. He chose 35E; good choice.

3 comments:

The Frosts said...

All the pictures I've seen have been amazing. It is scary that your family was so close. I've been over that bridge countless times myself.

cris said...

Brian got a promotion!? GREAT! Your pics are adorable! I won't say that about a pic of Brian. Your story is awesome. I'm not done reading. The bridge collapse is unbelievable! So glad you weren't there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa- UNREAL is the best word I can describe the bridge collapse. Even as of today 8/17/07 the rescue efforts are in full swing. My heart goes out to the families that are missing their loved ones. Obviously--the bridge collapse is still BIG news here...since yes, tragedy hit too close to home. So often we "Minnesotans" think nothing bad can happen here...then we had a reminder as to how life is so fragile.
One of my best friends drives over the bridge many times a day. She drove over it 3 times...and should have been two more...but her husband's car broke down so she had to get the kiddos from daycare. She normally would have been crossing the bridge around the time it collapsed. I guess we will never know if she could have been there...but I truly believe things happen for a reason. As annoyed as she and her husband were with the car issue...it may have well saved a tragedy!