Friday, August 17, 2007

Sparklers and elephants




I blame my mom. It really is her fault. Maybe if she hadn't been such a creative, do-it-yourself, make-it-from-scratch mom, I wouldn't feel the need to do everything homemade. Take this weekend, for example. It's jam-packed, including a Primary Activity tomorrow morning. We're doing a BOOT Camp for the kids. I'm even dressing like an Army General. For snacks, I've decided to make 50 of these patriotic "sparklers," which is basically pretzel rods dipped in white chocolate and covered in blue and red sprinkles. They'll be consumed in the "mess hall" after they survive boot camp. So I ask: Why can't I bring myself to simply go to the store and purchase the treat? It would save so much time and effort. And, why did I choose to make 50 of these "seek-and-find" bags for an activity last year? Because, in the end, I know how much I appreciated my mom's special touches when I was growing up, from sewing my clothes (this ended in late elementary school), to all the homemade treats, to the ultra-creative birthday parties. And so, I want to make the same effort for my kids and others. In the end, I enjoy the result. It's just self-imposed stress in the meantime!

My weekend also includes book club tonight. We're discussing Water for Elephants. It ended up being a captivating story - the last 50 pages really had me on the edge! It's about a young vet who joins a traveling circus during the Depression. It's got a love story, murder, and sleazy details of the crazy side show. Should make for a good discussion!

Lucas's blessing is Sunday, and Brian and I got asked to speak in church that day too, so I've got to finish that.

I'm off to put little ones down for naps, do some work, finish the rest of the sparklers, made dinner and then dash to book club. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Wendie said...

Hey! I didn't even know you were reading Water for Elephants. I just happened to have read it this month too! An interesting story ... and I'm sure the girls will sink their teeth into it :)

Lori said...

Wow- Your making the rest of us look bad. Most of the time even my home made cookies come from a box! (They don't taste as good, but you finish so quickly!)The Bishop will never release you at this rate. There will never be another president who does that much. Good luck with all the activities! And for the record, your blog looks great!:-)

Amy said...

I would have loved having you as my primary president! Strong work.

The Frosts said...

Um, do we have the same mom? Seriously, you just described my mom to a T. It's a lot of pressure to live up to :) Your pretzel/sparklers look fabulous. And I am truly amazed that you made 50 of those hide and seek bags. Lots of work!! I will check out the book - I'm always looking for recommendations.