
This is my latest read. We discussed it at book club on Friday. I really enjoyed it. It was my pick, and I expected it to be a somewhat cozy read. It definitely had a lot more substance than I expected (including a Holocaust storyline). It's basically the story of this 70-something woman who has been a recluse in her Seattle mansion for years. She's kept a big secret, and having been diagnosed with a brain tumor, decides it's time to make the past right and start living again before she dies. She takes in a boarder, a 30-something woman with a terribly sad past who is searching for the boyfriend who just left her.
My favorite things bout the book: an incredibly entertaining and well-developed cast of interesting characters. Love the scene when an elderly woman is scrapbooking with her 59-year-old male friend.
My least favorite thing: some bad language
I liked this book even though: the story was wrapped up into a nice bow at the end. Some of us found the coincidences in the book a bit of a stretch. I didn't mind them.
Overall, a strong story with some great characters. Makes a touching case for the strength and joy of families, including surrogate families.
On another note, tonight was one of those perfectly amazing fall evenings. The air was so cool and crisp. The sky was clear and the leaves are starting to change. I bundled the kids (well, hats and sweatshirts at least) and took them on a walk to the park. As we were walking home a HUGE full moon starting coming up. I could just do a fall dance of joy. My head is swimming with Halloween projects, costume plans, pumpkin patches and pumpkin bars.
3 comments:
I hear you, I am excited for fall this year and can't wait for Christmas, I feel kinda like a kid.
I went to put this book on hold at the library and they don't even have it yet. It must be a newer book ( I think my library is kind of slow). Sounds like a great read, thanks for the recommendation. I'm still jealous of your weather ;)
Actually, it was published in 2004, so not really new. Hopefully you can find it! Let me know if you read it!
Post a Comment