Brian was in a bad car accident last night. He was driving home from work late at night, and hit a car that was stalled in the right lane of I-70. He was going 70 mph. He says he didn't see the car until it was too late, and slammed into it at full speed. Turns out, the girl in the other car had just been in a hit and run - another car had crashed into her and sped off. So this girl couldn't get her car onto the shoulder, and it was sitting in the right lane. She had just gotten out the car and was on the shoulder calling police when along came Brian.
Brian was able to walk out of his car (but was dripping blood). As they waited for paramedics, in typical nice-guy Brian fashion, he spent the wait consoling this girl, who was really upset. She kept apologizing for her car being in the way. Brian said it wasn't her fault.
Anyways ... they brought Brian to the ER in an ambulance. He was there for a number of hours. They were concerned about internal injuries, and did a CAT scan, X-rays and an ultrasound. Turns out he ended up with a broken nose and a bunch of cuts and bruises. He's pretty sore, but according to paramedics and the ER doc, he's extremely lucky. They said the seatbelt and airbags did their job and totally saved his life. When the paramedics arrived on the scene (there was a firetruck, ambulance and multiple police cars), they couldn't believe both drivers were sober and not seriously injured.
Our car didn't fare so well. It was the Saturn I bought when I graduated from college 10 years ago. It was 2 years old then. It moved me out to CO from MN. I commuted to all of my jobs in it. Then I handed it over to Brian when we had kids for his commuting vehicle. It's been paid off for 5 years, and has been a GEM of a car. Has seriously not needed anything other than oil, tires and gas. Yesterday, the day of the accident, the car hit 200,000 miles. We were talking about how we hoped we'd get a bit more out of it and were planning to drive it until it died. Guess it got killed instead.
Anyways, we are all giving Brian a little extra love today. Connor has had about a gazillion questions. We finally had to use his little cars to re-create the accident so he could understand it. And I'm sure it was a bit traumatic for the kids to have to wake up this morning and go pick up a blood-splattered daddy at the hospital. We are thanking our lucky stars and saying our prayers of gratitude that this ended as well as it did, and trying not to focus on the insurance/new car drama that surely lies ahead. Oh, and for the record, Brian got ticketed for careless driving. Hoping for a better day tomorrow!
A huge "Thanks" to Mom Howell for coming over today and helping us get through the drama.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh my goodness. I'm so glad Brian walked away with so few injuries. You just never know when you're being watched over, do you? I'll say an extra "thank you" in my prayers tonight. *hugs*
Wow, Melissa. I'm just reading this at 1:37AM so I can't call you. I can't believe that happened. I've always worried about Brian driving home late at night. I'm so glad that all has turned out OK. The car and insurance thing will work themselves out. The fact that Brian is OK is a wonderful blessing.
I no Melissa! and Brian! I am so sorry. I seem to remember sitting on my couch on Friday and commenting on the car turning 200,000 miles and hoping it would last for awhile longer. I am so glad Brian is ok.
I am glad Brian is okay, I am sure he had a little gardian angel with him!
Oh my gosh you guys. I am so sorry. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a worse accident. But I'm so sorry about the mess of the car/insurance and I'm sure HUGE scare that it was. I'm so glad Brian is okay. Big hugs!!
A true miracle that both Brian and the other driver are okay. I am wishing good wishes to you for a full and quick recovery.
Post a Comment