After dance, Brian and I went to our first parent/teacher conference for Connor. We walked into the classroom and sat down across from Mrs. Prough (pronounced Pro). First thing she said was, "how is Connor doing?" I looked at her for a minute, and then said two words: "he's struggling." "I know," was her reply.
This wasn't exactly earth-shattering news to us, and it was nice to have a chance to sit down and really discuss things. Connor's academics are really strong - advanced in some areas - and he is starting to read really well. But his social abilities are causing some concerns, as I feared they would. He is struggling big-time with recess, and the unstructured interaction that it brings. There has been a child who has been somewhat controlling over Connor, which hasn't helped. But mostly he just struggles to have appropriate and meaningful interactions.
He has become fixated on his "long" days (T and Th) because there are 3 recesses. This fixation often gets in the way of him enjoying other parts of school. He must ask me - and dad - and Mrs. Prough - 100 times a day why there has to be long days at school. We talk about it incessantly. Sometimes I have to draw a line and say we can talk about anything he wants, but not about recess. As a parent, it is so difficult to walk that line between enablement and tough-love. With Connor, I find myself walking it a lot.
Mrs. Prough has been doing some role-plays in the classroom to help teach how to play with others, and has assigned him special play buddies from time to time. She has created a picture schedule that he keeps at his desk to help him know how the day will go, and what is coming next. And she has spent a lot of time with him at recess lately. She felt like yesterday they reached a new level of comfort for the first time, and he did report having had a better day yesterday.
Because of his autism, he has an IEP (individual education program) to help him get the services he needs (mainly speech and special education). Mrs. Prough and Brian and I agree that he needs more special ed (Mrs. Claypool is the special ed teacher) and less speech. Mrs. Prough reports that Connor is much more relaxed when she or Mrs. Claypool is working with him. He currently has only 15 minutes twice a week of special ed support, and Mrs. Prough said it's not cutting it. The most effective way to see that changed, she said, is to push the school to provide more.
So, after the conference Brian and I went to the principal's office, and he welcomed us into his office immediately to discuss our concerns. He agreed more support is needed, and is going to bring it up at a meeting on Monday to formulate a plan to help Connor adjust more and struggle less.
Again, we all feel - Mrs. Prough, the Principal, Brian and I - that there is a fine line in place. I don't want Connor to become too co-dependent on an adult, but as has been the case before, he needs some more tools to help him adjust to this new world of kindergarten. Oh, it's so different from preschool! The principal said he might try much more support for a specific time frame, then back off a bit to see how Connor handles things, and to really identify his needs.
There are many parts of school Connor enjoys: art, music, reading, 4th-grade reading buddies, writing. He is engaged in his work and follows directions. He just struggles socially. And Mrs. Prough is very in tune to the fact that he is also a very senstive boy.
So, there you have it. We all struggle with things, right? I guess the lesson is to learn from our struggles. We all feel Connor can get there, with the right support. He has so many strenghts, and they will help fill in his weakness. We love him dearly and want him to succeed in whatever ways he can. And we know he will!
In other news, I think if you look up "power struggle" in the dictionary, it might simply say, "Melissa and Isabel."
I am a firm believer that the terrible twos are not so much a real thing, but 3 is a significantly more challenging age. As Miss Isabel has entered the home stretch to her third birthday (which is next Saturday), holy schnockers has she become challenging. She can be the sweetest thing in the world, "oh, mommy, you're so beautiful! you're so nice. I love your shirt" all said with hugs and kisses and the sweetest voice imaginable. And then, as though a switch has been flipped, she is a nightmare. She literally goes from this:

to this:

in a matter of seconds. Power struggles from morning 'til evening. "I wanted to go first! I wanted to do it myself! I wanted my shirt on and then my shorts! I wanted to pick up my toothbrush myself! I only want to wear my orange dress!" and on and on and on. I'm fiesty and she's fiesty so you can imagine the power struggles. Again, because I'm not an indulger, I'm often willing to go the battle rather than give in and let her think temper tantrums are an effective way to get her message across. Yikes, she is as strong-willed as any child I've known. I'm holding on for a crazy ride with this one!
So there you have it. Struggle. Struggle. Struggle. Life is full of them. You gotta face 'em head on. You know, like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music? "Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, 'til you find your dream."
13 comments:
Love the photo proof. :) Elijah has been getting more difficult as we've gotten closer to his 3rd birthday too. I'm stubborn as well, so we duke it out fairly often, but I try to pick my battles. Parenthood really is a learning experience.
I'm so glad Connor has good teachers that are willing to work with you and him to find solutions.
You are right, we all have struggles. And wouldn't life be boring if we all struggled with the same thing? Good luck with yours, it sounds like Connor has a great teacher. And I agree, at least with Lillian we hit terrible 3's and skipped terrible twos!
Yay for a great parent-teacher conference. I am sure you feel like you are "struggling", but Connor is such an amazing little boy. As soon as he can figure out ways to interact better, he will do great. I am so glad to see that the whole school works well together to help out every individual child. That is what education SHOULD be.
Off my soap box...Isabel is such a hoot from an I-am-not-her-mother perspective. Eventually her strong will should help her be a strong, confident young adult, right?
It's great that Connor sounds like he has a good support system at school who is willing to help him be successful. I hope that he will begin to have a better time at school. I don't know who ever said there are terrible twos it's all about the threes, I know, I've lived it, but just think about all the great things that come with being three. It's one of my absolute favorite ages even with the power struggles. Stay strong!
With Addy the power struggles are there too - for example, if I press the buttons on the microwave when she wanted to - it gets ugly. But overall, we get over it quickly. Try to balance things and give her choices when I can, but sometimes I just can't give her choice. I love it when she turns it back on me. Like when she asks me to do something and I say "In a minute". Then I'll ask her to come to me and she'll say "in a minute!". Ughhhh...Also, I am glad that you have a supportive school situation. It sounds like you've identified Connors strengths and weaknesses and working hard on all. I too am noticing that k is differnt than pre-school.
Sorry for all the struggles. I hope having more involvement helps. I am glad they are willing to work around and try something new. That Isabel, maybe it is a girl thing!
It sounds like Connor's teacher is quite in tune with what is going on with him, as well as the principal. It's wonderful that they are willing to work with him and you :)
All we can hope for is the strength to get through it all I guess. Isn't it funny how people say it's hard to have kids... but we don't believe it or understand it until we are smack in the middle of it?!
I have to tell you that I shed a few tears as I read your blog this week. I know exactly where you're coming from...from the teacher end to the parent end. Keep the faith. Connor will do great. All kids have their "struggles." I know this was no suprise to you that this would be his. I know it doesn't make it any easier in the middle of it either. Connor is an amazing kido, with many great strengths. Heavenly Father will bless him, as well as you and Brian also, as you strive to help him find his way.
And I so agree with the 2 vs. 3 year old thing. And you know I have my own Isabel. May we both be blessed with the fine line of patience and tough love that it takes to help both our girls become beautiful healthy women. I love you. It will all be well. Faith is everything!
What a hard situation with Connor! But it sounds like you have amazing support from the teacher and principal - that is a huge blessing. Please keep us posted on his progress. Parenting is so incredibly challenging. Carter still doesn't love school and it is SO hard to deal with.
Isabel could not be any cuter. I have a very sassy three year old so I totally feel your pain. I feel like I have a 3 year old going on 13 sometimes!
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to struggle with my children! Haley does the mood-swing thing like Isabelle and Preston's nick-name is The Destructor... the Terrible Twos are a very real thing with him! Here's hoping that it doesn't just get worse at 3!
It sounds like Connor has some good teachers working with him - I hope they continue to find things that help him adjust!
Have you thought of suggesting structured recess for his IEP? I know from experience that students who have a para with them during recess to help them with something specific come back to the classroom a happier person. Another thing that helps is a "break" after recesss.
You are such good parents. Connor is very blessed to have you both and especially that you are so in tune to what he needs. He is one lucky boy. He is going to be okay. And as for Isabel, sounds like someone I know! My little one and I are very much like you and yours. I have learned, however, that their power struggle is not always because they're trying to be challenging to you, they just don't know any other way with their strong personality. Much like you and me, we are strong and sometimes I find myself locking in and then I step back and ask myself, "why"? Sometimes it's okay to give in and they don't/won't take advantage of you or learn that temper tantrums get them what they want. It's just who they are. Does that make sense? We need to chat sometime...
Post a Comment