Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pumpkin perfection

It's feast or famine with my family, I swear. Months will go by with no visitors, and then BAM! - they all come at once. I love company, so it's fine, but geez, sometimes they could spread the love a little ;)

My parents arrived yesterday for a week's visit. They are very active, and we always pack in lots of adventures when they visit. They've already taken the kids biking, on a walk, to the park, and played lots, and on the agenda is: a trip to the mountains, a trip to a pumpkin patch, swimming at our rec center's water park, and Isabel's big 3rd birthday bash!

Who doesn't love some silly grandpa play time?

In addition, my sister and her son Nolan arrive on Thursday for a week, and next Thursday my brother Nate and his new wife Alli come for 4 days. Like I said, feast or famine! But it's fun.

Speaking of feasting, I promised some of my favorite fall recipes. For now, here's 2 pumpkin desserts you'll go over the moon for.

The first is my mom's Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. They are dense and moist and fabulous. I am pretty much famous for them.

Pumpkin Bars
4 eggs
1 cup oil
15 oz. can pumpkin
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix eggs, oil, pumpkin and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes in a greased and floured jelly roll pan (10 x 15). Spread with cream cheese frosting.

Cream cheese frosting
3 ounces cream cheese
3/4 stick butter
1/2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Beat together first 4 ingredients; add powdered sugar to desired consistency.


This second recipe I acquired last year at a party. Consider yourself warned. It is rich and wonderful, and quite possibly one of the best desserts I've ever had. Or close to.

Pumpkin Delight
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 glass dish.

Beat 3 eggs well. Add 1 cup sugar, 15 ounce can pumpkin, 1 large size can evaporated milk (I think it's 10 ounces give or take), 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon allspice) and mix. Pour into glass dish.

Sprinkle the dry contents of 1 box of yellow cake mix over the top. Melt and drizzle 1 1/2 sticks of butter on top of the dry cake mix. Bake about 45 or 50 minutes at 350.

Serve warm with whipped cream, chocolate chips and/or pecans sprinkled on top (I highly recommend the toppings!). Enjoy. A lot.

8 comments:

Kristina said...

Looks like you are already having a fun time. You were the one who wanted the feast so-DIG IN! Isn't family great? : ) We can't wait to come.

Amy said...

Have a great time! We have my in-laws arriving a week from next and can't wait for it.

Lara said...

Hope you have a great visit- how wonderful for the kids to have so much family around:)

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great visit with your family! mmm yummy pumpkin treats...bad for the diet~

The Hardie Family said...

Yes, I agree, you are pretty much famous for the pumpkin bars and I think I have contributed to that fame! I LOVE the bars and every time I make them (only in the FALL, of course!) I always give you credit! Can't wait to try your new recipe!
Have a great time with your family and tell them hello for me!

My Angels said...

I love the pictures of Isabel and her "split personalities", she is so dang cute...your boys are too, I just happen to be a sucker for girls! Your family pictures are great, what an adorable family you have! I love having family come, so do my kids, we miss seeing them.

Allison

The Frosts said...

How fun to have your family in town! I'm jealous! I'm totally going to take your pumpkin delight to a Halloween party we're invite to. It's sounds delish (hello, how could it not be amazing with 1 1/2 sticks of butter YUM!)

Tee said...

Those recipes sound delicious!!! And what fun to haveryone coming out! Have fun!!