Thursday, January 24, 2008

To rent or not to rent

We've switched realtors, and we met with our new realtor this morning. Can the news really get any worse? It seems to come down to: 1) do we want to keep trying to sell, which means listing at a somewhat competitive price that will mean having to bring at least $15,000 to the closing 2) do we want to rent it out, even though what we could get in rent likely won't cover our mortgage and HOA 3) do we want to keep living here (no) and 4) do we want to foreclose (no, because it's totally unethical, but I can see why people do it to get out).

Nice choices, huh? I'm in a rather foul mood about the whole thing. I thought buying a house was an investment! At this rate, if we ever get out of here, I feel leery about buying again.

Forgive the whining - now I'm sounding like a teething 2-year-old!

5 comments:

Lori said...

I know you may not want input, but my husbands advise is to rent it out, it would be an investment that would evenually pay off. But I am with you, I don't know what I would do. Andrew has a friend that does investment real estate, so that is where that's coming from.

The Frosts said...

Seriously, I cannot imagine how incredibly frustrated you must be about the whole thing. I have no real good advice but want to offer my condolences on a tough situation. I think I would probably look to rent it out too. I hope you figure it out soon for all of your sakes!

Amy said...

I'll throw in my unsolicited 2 cents. First, this is just a tough situtation, and I understand your frustration. I think going with a new agent will help to get fresh ideas. Also, forclosure would ruin credit rating. Is there a way to sweeten the deal, Like "we'll pay a portion of closing costs", or give you $1500 for new carpet, or something to that effect. A lower cost "freebee" that will make it seem like the buyer is getting more for his/her $$, when in reality not getting much. I hear you tho, I am not looking forward to trying to sell in these mkt conditions.

Susan said...

Forgive me if this is cheesy - but I would suggest a friends and family fast! I have been amazed at the things that have been accomplished in my life through fasting - when a logical solution or explanation on paper is impossible - we have to depend on a higher authority! I would LOVE to participate in one with you. Let me know.

Brittany said...

Wow, that sucks, I am sorry to hear that. What ever you decide to do will be the best thing for you and the family. I think selling would take you farther away, so I vote for staying!