I just wrapped up an intensely crazy couple of weeks, mostly the result of a huge freelance project. In mid-December, I was asked to bid on writing the University of Colorado Cancer Center's 20th anniversary report. This involves putting together an estimate of how many hours I think the project will take, what I would charge, and some writing samples. The week before Christmas I was informed that I had the winning bid, and was offered the project. The deadline? Jan. 18 - and that's with 10 days during that time in Minnesota!
I basically started working on the project Dec. 31, and finished it today. I had to write 6 huge feature stories, which included interviewing more than 20 physicians/researchers/patients/donors. One of my interviews was with the German scientist who discovered that HPV infection causes cervical cancer. It was an interesting, but all-consuming project, being as I had such a short period of time. But tonight I am enjoying the feeling of it being completed! Whew...
I have to give a huge, huge shout out to Brian, who has been picking up all the slack the last couple of weeks. He had some vacation time to burn, so he used it last week. This week also has been light for him work-wise, and he has been cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, taking care of the kids, meal planning and grocery shopping to allow me to focus on this project. Thank you Brian for being a superstar! And, it's nice living with another writer who can edit my stuff and give me suggestions. Love you!
And while we were in MN, I got an e-mail asking if I'd be interested in writing part of The Children's Hospital's annual report (due in February) and two days after we got back I got a call asking if I'd re-write the Medical Center of Aurora's website (due in March). These should be more manageable projects, more like the time commitment I'm used to. I am grateful for the work, but geez! Watch what you pray for!
And of course, of all weeks, I have had 2 VERY sick little ones. Isabel and Lucas have had a nasty respiratory virus. Isabel has been sick since Monday; today is the first day this week she hasn't had a fever. She still has a really bad cough. And Lucas came down with it on Wednesday, and has had a fever, serious congestion and coughing since then. Not to mention Isabel is cutting the last of her 2-year molars, and Lucas cut his 2nd tooth on Wednesday, which is also the day he got his 7-month shots (which had to be postponed from 6 months b/c he was sick then).
And just because I'm unloading, I will also mention I have been dealing with a few very not fun Primary issues this week.
What a week! I seriously think I need a facial or something...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so awsome, wow what a great gig for you writing types! You should share some of what you did with us.
Wow, it's a lot of work, but congrats! Any hunky docs working at Univ of Co Cancer Center (tee hee hee)
Good work! It must be so rewarding to participate in your career. Hope your kids are feeling better and good luck on your next projects.
Wow, I don't know how you balance it all. Congrats on making it through.
Post a Comment