Sunday, May 29, 2011

8 is Great!

Connor turned 8 on May 27. What a great and important age to be! He wanted so very much to call the shots for the day; after convincing him he couldn't meet the President of the United States or climb Long's Peak (more than 14,000 feet), this is what he came up with. And thus we obliged.

We looked at his scrapbook. Which is thoroughly complete through age 4. He doesn't mind. It's better than Lucas who has 1 page done. But when I see the joy it brings Connor to look at his, it is motivating to bring the others up to date. Connor loves to hear stories about his birth and young life thus far, so I told him many. About the joy his dad and I felt when we met him for the first time. About me savoring the last moments of silence the evening before he was born, knowing my life would never be that quiet again (wow, how that held true!). About me dancing with him to John Denver every rainy afternoon when he was an infant. And many more.

I made a birthday banner (a Super Saturday project I actually completed at home!), and decided to create a birthday star-for-a-day wall. I have a wall with framed pics of the 4 kids; I took all the pics down except the birthday boy, hung my banner, as well as a star and an "8." This was a very last-minute idea, and the star is pathetically small. I have plans for a better one come the next birthday on Saturday.

For breakfast he requested Cookie Crisp cereal "because he's never had it," and homemade breakfast sandwiches (the buttermilk biscuits I made were drop-me-to-the-floor good)-

We had a Subway picnic lunch and then hiked along Boulder Creek. Connor is in his element outdoors; climbing trees, collecting insects and jumping from rock to rock is his heart's desire. Here we gave him his first birthday present, a wearable bug jar w/magnifying glass. He put it quickly to good use. The very next day the ladybugs he collected had laid eggs all over the inside of it, and thus we see the outcome of all those ladybugs we saw giving each other piggy back rides. ;)

For dinner we had a pizza party with my brothers and sister in law (Brian's mom was out of town), and then to satisfy my chocoholic of a son, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream. What the cake lacks in aesthetics it more than made up for in texture and flavor. It came from Mel (as in mykitchencafe.com), so no surprise it was a huge winner.

And then came presents. He had only asked us about a thousand time when it was time to open them; of course, he knew the answer from the time the sun came up and we told him the first time, but still there were questions...
He got 2 Lego Heroes, a Lego vehicle set, candy, a Road Rippers ambulance, a microscope set, and a Target gift card that he can't wait to spend. He was pleased indeed.

Other party shenanigans and poses-

What a birthday! We love our Connor so very much. He is so happy to be 8, and is looking forward to starting Cub Scouts next week and being baptized in July.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday! Where did you get the recipe for the biscuits? I had a great one, but lost it a long time ago. :(

Jen said...

Birthday time is the best! You make their days so special Melissa.

Colleen said...

Happy birthday to Connor! I really can't believe you have an eight-year-old!

Amy said...

Great photos! Happy Birthday!