Thursday, September 30, 2010

Let me tell you about...

... these two:
they are a dynamic duo. Only 20 months apart, they are the closest in age of any of my kids. Both highly imaginative, talkative, and just plain fun. I am enjoying having them both home this year (apart from preschool and playgroup). Although I probably field about 4,083 questions a day from the two of them. How come...? How come...? How come...? Why...? How...? Where...? How come...? How come...? How come...? They're totally in the question phase. Isabel is just enough older that Lucas is generally chill with letting her be the leader, and him the follower. They are buckets of fun together.

... eggplant. It is NOT good. Not even fried. Isabel said it smelled like an old stuffed animal and refused to even take a bite. So now we know. But it's still a pretty purple. :)

... how freakishly flexible my kiddos are. They can bend, twist and contort themselves into rather interesting positions. Veritable rubber bands, they are. I sometimes feel as though I'm living in a circus. What's really interesting is when they play frogs in a pond and leap around the house. Drives me insane. And then I go from feeling like I'm in a circus, to feeling like I'm in a pond.

... how much I'm having fun with my dessert of the month service. September's turned out so pretty! Delicate pear cake with caramel sauce (recipe courtesy Monique - thanks!). I didn't get a picture of the sauce, but as you slice the cake you drizzle each piece with a sinfully rich and amazing caramel sauce. Love how the papers I used for the September poem so fabulously match my Fall cake stand. Did you know I'm a girl of simple pleasures?
So what to do about October? Obviously something pumpkin, but pumpkin bars w/cream cheese frosting? Pumpkin delight? A pumpkin roll? Pumpkin cookie ice cream sandwiches? Pumpkin cheesecake?

6 comments:

Kristi said...

I too am a girl of simple pleasures, and I love that about you - your blog is always a celebration of simple pleasures. :)

Your kids ALWAYS make me smile. What little loves they are, and wow! So flexible!!

taradon said...

What a shame that Isabel didn't enjoy the eggplant, in spite of the beautiful color! :)

That cake looks wonderful... I would go for the pumpkin cheesecake for October!

Colleen said...

I vote for pumpkin cheesecake too, yum! I love that Isabel and Lucas are such good buddies. So sweet. And I've never tried eggplant, thanks for sparing me the effort. :)

andrea said...

oh gosh...I need to get in your dessert of the month club like tonight! YUM.

Thekla and Grayson said...

Isabel's comment was awesome! I laughed to hard when I read it...wow, I miss you!

Marie said...

I want to try these! http://picky-palate.com/2010/09/23/chocolate-and-pumpkin-pie-shortbread-bars/