It was a very quick - but action packed - trip. But completely fabulous. Since we've both been there before, we just focused on seeing a few sights with our short window of time.
Day 1
Brian flew out at 6 a.m. and spent the entire day at the game in Berkeley. This left me alone to get all the children up, fed, dressed, packed up and out the door at 7:45 for the 40-minute drive to my brother and sis-in-law's (who watched the kids for 2 days/1 night). Then they drove Mason and I to the airport. I had a connection in SLC with a layover long enough to have lunch with my cute cousin Colleen. Was fun to see her and catch up on all kinds of family news, and for her to meet Mason.
I arrived in San Fran late in the afternoon, and spent the evening relaxing in the hotel. Let me just say now that Mason was a SUPER traveler pretty much the entire weekend. So yes, I really did get to relax, read and watch TV. And not clean up toys. Or make dinner. Or answer a bazillion questions. Or do laundry. Or drive anyone anywhere. Just relax. Heaven. Brian and I met up at the hotel that night.Day 2
We got up early and shuttled to the airport, where we caught the Bart (train) to downtown. Here's Mason all ready to go-
Me and Mason on the Bart-
We caught a trolley to Pier 39, where we walked around and breakfasted on clam chowder in sourdough breadbowls at Boudins. Oh, serious yum!





We walked all around Fisherman's Wharf-



This seal had just caught a fish and was violently thrashing it against the water's surface. Very Nature-esque.

These are for my boys, who are all about "pirates, bad guys and danger" these days-


Beautiful views of the spectacular Golden Gate Bridge-

and Alcatraz-
Mason at Fort Mason
Ghirardelli Square-
Brian and I loooooved having some alone time with Mason. Brian couldn't get enough of snuggling Mason; he was often lovin' on him-


I had my first ever In-N-Out burger (it was pretty good), while Brian revisited an old favorite-

Beautiful Lombard Street, the crookedest street in America. The homes in that area were amazing. A-maze-ing. And the views from Russian Hill... TDF. Yes, Brian pushed the stroller all the way up that hill.





We had a long, windy, cold wait for our cable car ride. We had to bundle a bit. Ohhhhh, that face!
The ride was definitely a highlight, a very neat experience. The views were incredible, I just loved it.Our cable car operator was a bit interesting, certainly memorable. He was a tall, very built, Middle Eastern man with some of the most amazing light green eyes I have ever seen. With his turban he had to be 6 foot 5 or so. And he yelled loudly - in a very strong accent - at anyone who didn't hold on with 2 hands, or leaned too far to the outside, or leaned too far to the inside (as in my case, where I was twice scolded and he actually moved my head where he wanted it). When someone didn't abide by the rules, they got a stern, accented "you no follow rules, I TAKE YOU OFF!" Serious stuff. And then when we got off at our Chinatown stop, he leaned over to Brian and I, and in a very kind, not-so-accented voice, said, "take your time getting the stroller, and be careful with that baby." Totally threw us for a loop! We found it really hilarious.






Chinatown was also very interesting. Loved all the color and paper lanterns.








We ate dim sum for dinner at the Four Seas restaurant. Brian did not care for some of the stuff we ordered. I thought some was really tasty, some was OK. The dumpling texture takes some getting used to. I am really wind-blown and somewhat sunburned.
Speak no, see no, hear no... ;)

Had to get a palm tree shot-

Day 3
I really wanted to get to the coast, but we realized we just didn't have enough time, so we slept in ('til almost 9:00 - that NEVER happens. Thanks Mason!), and just relaxed for the morning before heading to the airport to catch flights. Thanks to Brian's mom for coming to our house to care for the kids the 2nd night.
We calculated that we walked at least 6 miles around the city, plus all the airport walking. Helped reduce the guilt from our meal splurges! It was a really quick trip, but a great chance for a quick getaway to a fabulous city. Brian and I love to travel, wish we could do it more. But I'll take what I can get. It was a perfect weekend.
11 comments:
I love San Francisco. I'm impressed at how much you were able to fit in to such a short trip! And you've got to take about 20 photos of me to not get a squinty one. I seem to anticipate the flashes. :) Good to see you, cuz, glad you had a fun time!
Sounds super fun! Busy but fun.
I have never been, but would love to go sometime. I am all for time away with just my husband. I will take whatever my parents are willing to watch my kiddos for- sometimes a week but more often just a weekend.
Great photos and great times! I am glad you got to get away for a weekend. Sometimes it is nice to just recharge for a few days.
All I can say, is GREAT FUN!!!
This really makes me want to go back! I would love to experience Chinatown as an adult. I went when I was like..... between 8 and 10 and just remember being scared. So glad you got to go away for a bit!
Is it so sad that the houses remind me of Full House? Glad you had a great time! What fun pics. I need to get there some time. How fun to get such good snuggle time with little Mason, too.
What a fantastic trip! Love all of your pix! It's been years since i've been there but i do remember that Lombard street- so cool! Can't believe that was your first In-N-Out experience!!! Yummy huh! So glad you got to join Brian and have a blast together + baby :)
wow. just wow.
What a lucky girl you are! Your little vaca looks nothing short of amazing. Your pictures are beautiful. San Fransisco is so fabulous - why is that?! Anyway, so glad you had a great time.
I LOVE San Francisco - I am super jealous!
How fun! It's been years since I've been to San Fran (like 9-ish at least). Loved all the pic's! Toting around one child is a BREEZE now, isn't it? :)
Post a Comment