Sunday, April 19, 2009

We need your help!

Last summer, a story on a local news website caught my eye. It was about an Amazing Race-like event in Denver, a road-rally of sorts where teams of 2 raced to different venues across Denver and did a variety of challenges/tasks, similar to the (super cool and fantastic) CBS show. To participate in the event, the teams had to raise funds to support an organization that funds Down syndrome research and provides patient and family support. I thought it sounded like a great event, and as I read more, I was surprised and thrilled to discover that the event was started by an old friend of mine, Leah Martin, in honor of her friend's daughter, Savannah, who was born with Down syndrome.

Fast forward to last month: our friends Jeannie and Evan Easton had a sweet baby boy, Porter, who was born with Down syndrome. I have been touched by their experience, and amazed at the grace with which they have handled the unique challenges and blessings little Porter has already brought to their family.
Then, just a couple of days ago, we received an e-mail from Evan and Jeannie asking for someone to form a team to participate in a race/fundraising event in Porter's honor. The event - Savannah's Race - is the one my friend started. It all sorta clicked. I asked Brian if he'd be willing to be a team with me and do Savannah's Race, and he agreed (love ya Brian!). We have registered, and are officially one of 20 teams that will be racing around Denver on June 13 doing a variety of crazy and fun challenges. As a participating team, we are required to raise a minimum of $2,000. We could sure use some help in reaching this goal!

It's not easy to ask for donations. And we know these are difficult economic times, and that could have an impact on our fundraising efforts. But I am passionate about health care, especially children's health care. The funds raised by Savannah's Race this year will benefit the Mile High Down Syndrome Association, and will be used to:
  • Support and educate new parents of a child with Down syndrome
  • Bridge the gap between parents and their children's health care providers
  • Fund research
  • Facilitate educational workshops
  • Organize social events for individuals with Down syndrome
  • Facilitate support groups for parents and families of individuals with Down syndrome
Brian and I feel confident that we will meet our goal. If you are interested in supporting us in this endeavor, please send us a check, made payable to Savannah's Race. This is a tax-deductible donation. All donations need to be in by the day of the race (June 13). If you need our address, please leave me a comment with your e-mail address, or e-mail me at melissahowell2 at yahoo dot com. We would love support from anyone reading this! I will provide fundraising/race updates from time to time.

You can visit the Savannah's Race website for more info on the race, the Mile High Down Syndrome Association, and more.

Nine years ago, I did something similar when I ran a full 26.2 mile marathon and raised $1100 for the Leukemia Society of America. It was an amazing experience, and I look forward to an even more amazing experience as I team with Brian and do this in honor of a sweet little baby boy. Having worked in the health-care communications arena for 10+ years, and having seen numerous fertility/pregnancy/children's health situations in my ever-growing circle of family and friends, it is not infrequently that I express gratitude for my three healthy children. I am grateful for this opportunity to gather resources to help some families whose children have come to them with a special set of needs.

Thanks so much for any support you can provide!

6 comments:

The Easton Family said...

Melissa, you are a truly amazing woman! Thank you so much.

The Calverts said...

Melissa, I got teary just reading this post. Children with challenges have such a special place in my heart. Not only is this race raising funds, but it's raising awareness and the hopes of families impacted by children with special needs. You can count us in for a donation. Good luck to you and Brian.

taradon said...

Count us in for a donation, too. Can you e-mail me your address? And keep us posted on when this race takes place. We'd love to watch if we can!

Anonymous said...

We are in :) I will bring a check to book club.

Amy said...

Way cool. I admire your dedication to these important causes.

Kristi said...

You go girl! I respect anyone who has enough compassion to find a cause and champion it. :)