Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Saint Louis Day 4

This was the only day we saw the sun, and it was a stunningly glorious day. Probably my favorite day of the trip.

We got an early start to the day, and rode the MetroLink train into downtown Saint Louis to visit the Gateway Arch. Everything was in bloom, and the Arch grounds were gorgeous. Those purple-blooming trees were my absolute favorite, and they were everywhere.

Underground beneath the Arch are several activities, including the Museum of Westward Expansion. What an amazing museum! And it, too, was FREE! It was incredibly well done, interesting and beautiful. Connor loved the stagecoach and the "talking robot men" (life-life characters who told stories). Brian is a true Lewis and Clark historian. His favorite book is Undaunted Courage and he loves all things Lewis and Clark. He loved this museum.

Brian is not a fan of heights, and opted to stay grounded with Lucas while the rest of us journeyed to the top of the Arch. It's quite a compact and interesting ride to the top-
And we were rewarded with incredible views of downtown Saint Louis
And the Mississippi River and Illinois-
For the record, Isabel's new favorite word is Mississippi. She cracks up every time she or someone else says it.

Isabel and I cautiously enjoyed being at the top of the Arch, but Connor thought it was about the greatest thing ever. He pressed himself right up against the windows and watched the world below. He could not believe he was looking down on flying helicopters and such. I think he could have spent the entire day up there.
While we were in the Arch, Brian and Lucas went to the Lewis and Clark Imax film. Lucas fell asleep during the movie, so Brian was then able to go back and do the museum with a sleeping Lucas on his shoulder and read all the Lewis and Clark journal entries throughout the museum. This was a highlight for him for sure.

We hung out on the Arch grounds/Mississippi River's edge for a while. It was such a nice day.



Back at Kristina's that afternoon, Lucas and Nolan became close friends
While Lucas is a bit taller, Nolan weighs more. This became clear when Nolan inadvertently body slammed Lucas backwards on to the hardwood floor moments after this hug.

For dinner we went to Super Smokers BBQ for dinner. BBQ is fine for me, not a huge fan, but Brian is a BBQ connoisseur.

That evening we went for a fun walk around Kristina's neighborhood where Brian got a little camera creative apparently. It was a divine evening, and I couldn't get enough of walking around the area where she lives. Those rolling hills, old Southern-style homes and plethora of trees call to me.
Kristina and I did some crafting later that evening, including making these cherry blossom branches. Are they not divine ultimate springiness?

2 comments:

Lara said...

I want to make the cherry blossoms! They are beautiful!
What a gorgeous day- I love the pictures of the kids having so much fun.
Connor certainly seems to not have his Dad's fear of heights!

Erica said...

Sounds like a super fun trip! I have to agree with Brian- I however I very scaredly went to the top of the arch and about died!! I think I should have stayed on the ground. LOVE the cherry blossoms- how did you make them? You are so super creative!!!