Saturday, March 14, 2009

Kindergarten field trip

Connor had his kindergarten field trip on Thursday; they went to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I went along as a chaperon. It was overall a good experience, the museum wasn't as crazy as I expected it to be, but it was busy enough. 'Tis the season for field trips!

The group of boys I was responsible for during the field trip. They were a great group of boys:
We had some free time to roam the museum and see the different exhibits. The museum has a new, temporary exhibit called "Nature Unleashed" that the boys weren't so into, but I would have loved to spend more time there. It was fascinating.

The kids went to a class all about bears, which Connor loved. It was his favorite part of the day.
They were able to...

Walk like bears:
Have a bear picnic, where they had to take different bear food from a picnic basket and put it on the appropriate bear's plate (brown bear, black bear, polar bear, etc):

Put on bear paws/claws, dig for food in a bin of leaves and then go "hibernate" when they'd "eaten" enough. This was Connor's absolute favorite activity from the entire day:


And create a bear habitat:

When I was growing up, my mom always packed us really healthy lunches, but field trip days were an exception. I also pack pretty healthy lunches, but let Connor pick a few treats to put in his special-day lunch:

Learning is awesome. I loved, loved, loved school from kindergarten on through college, and am loving seeing the educational experience through my kids' eyes. What a treasure.

4 comments:

Mom H. said...

What a fun day!!! I always enjoyed field trips with the kids, too. Such a fun way to connect.
Love,
Mom H

Lara said...

Looks like a very fun field trip! It is great to see Connor having so much fun, and enjoying learning.

Anonymous said...

A field trip in kindergarten! How exciting! I'm picturing a brave group of women willing to take a bunch of five year olds to a giant museum. I'm glad to read that fun was had by all.

Kristina said...

I LOVE fieldtrips! Looks like yours was a great success. Super fun!