
Also proud of Brian. He served on his very first jury this week (a meth trial) and was rewarded with this lovely certificate. Not sure why they feel inclined to give an adult a certificate, but whatever. He is TOTALLY humoring me by posing for this picture-

While he actually enjoyed the jury experience and learned a lot about the enormity of the meth problem, that's not the real reason I'm proud of him. His bigger accomplishment is...
... he was awarded a big Associated Press Sports Editors award, which he says are like the "Oscars of Sports Writing." An explanatory story he did about some injured athlete's back surgery was named one of the top 10 explanatory stories in the country for medium-size papers. His paper has won APSE awards before, but this is his first individual award. He was pleased to be so recognized! He'll find out in April exactly where in the top 10 his story ranked. Good job Brian! Nice to be recognized for your talents.
And last, at Family Night last week Brian instituted a family sticker chart to recognize/reward kind and loving behavior between our family members. For the next 6 days, family members had to earn at least 5 stickers for kind and loving behavior, and in so doing, would receive an ice cream outing. You can see this was all Brian's doing, as he used Major League Baseball team logo stickers for the chart. Each day we would assess everyone's behavior and then he'd have each family member select a team logo. So very Brian. You'll note Lucas and I received 6 stickers while the others received 5.
Wish I would have remembered to bring the camera to our ice-cream outing! For the first time, Lucas received his own instead of having to share with mom or dad. You'll have to use your imagination on that!
8 comments:
Way to go Howells. Congrats all around. I love the jury certificate. So funny. And yipee for sticker charts.
YAY for the howell Boys.
I never got a jury certificate! I was juror # 2 on a drug case. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the drug trade on Pearl and 14th streets in downtown Denver. Kudos to all of your boyz.
You could always frame that jury certificate and hang it on the wall as a surprise for Brian...or not.
:)
Way to go, Connor!! Earning 10 stickers is tough stuff!
Yay to Connor! I hope he enjoys his special dinner and new toy!
Yay to Brian for both accomplishments!
Yay to the Howell's for their week of kindness! Ice cream is a yummy treat!
Good for you Connor! I'm so loving Mrs. Wingfield. And, definitely way to go Brian, a certificate. Cool sports award, too. --Jen
Congratulations to all of you on your accomplishments! I do love the idea of framing Brian's jury certificate. =D
Great job to all of your family! Exciting about Brian's award!
Post a Comment