Friday, February 13, 2009

A Scary Morning

My day got off to a scary start when I got a phone call bright and early that my brother and sister-in-law's (Nate and Alli) apartment was burning up. Nate and Alli live outside of Minneapolis. Nate had already gone to work and Alli was getting ready for work when the alarms went off. She got outside and watched the huge fire burn through the roof of her apartment, collapsing it. She got a hold of my brother and he was able to get to Alli quickly. The fire started on the third floor (the floor they live on) just three units down from theirs. They didn't know for hours if their apartment had burned and if their stuff was destroyed. When they were finally let in they discovered they narrowly escaped a total disaster and their stuff is fine, but the roof is destroyed and they are homeless for at least tonight, if not longer. SO SCARY!

We were all super concerned all morning, and now are expressing gratitude that they are OK. Alli was interviewed on WCCO today, if any of you are interested here is the link to the story with her interview. However, their stuff is fine, which is not how it was reported. The story/video is called "3 apartments destroyed in St. Anthony fire" and you can WATCH IT HERE.

The day has continued to be crazy with Valentine's parties, more on that later.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I am glad they didn't lose their stuff. Do they have renters insurance? I remember getting that after my parent's friend's son had a fire. It was like 20 dollars a month. Anyway, I am glad they are doing as well as can be at this point.!!

Lara said...

What a scary morning it was! Nothing like waking up to news that your brother and his wife are losing their home, at that moment.
We are so thankful that the fire was not nearly as bad as it could have been, and that no one was injured.

Lori said...

So happy to hear that they are ok!

Kristina said...

Scary Friday the 13th. So glad they are fine.

Mom H. said...

Our love to Ali & Nate. So glad they're ok!! What a scary way to start the day!
Love,
Mom H

Colleen said...

Wow! I'm so glad they didn't lose everyting! What an experience for them.

Karl said...

Glad they're ok, I hate the thought of a fire! --Jen

Pink Mom said...

Wow - I saw the story on the news and didn't think much of it at the time. I can't believe it was your brother. Thank goodness they are ok.

taradon said...

Yikes! I'm glad they were okay!