Such was the case this week. Sometimes, I think it's important to put aside all the things I have going on, and make sure my kids know they are my top priority of a long list of priorities. It's amazing how just putting my full focus on them and really engaging them can have such a positive outcome. Just a simple game or outing can turn a bad day into a significantly better one. On Thursday afternoon and Friday, we did a spur-of-the-moment ice cream cone/McDonald's playland outing, scheduled a last-minute playdate with good friends, and explored a new park a friend had told me about. We were all much happier!
It's also amusing how a change of scenery can turn Connor and Isabel from bitter enemies to the best of friends. At McDonald's on Thursday, they were having so much fun, they kept running up to each other and giving each other huge hugs. These other mothers kept looking at me with smiles and looks that were like, "awww, look at how sweet they are and how much they love each other!" All I could think of was, "you should have seen them about 20 minutes ago!"
On another note, I wanted to record a couple of cute things my kids have said recently:
Connor, walking back to his seat after giving a talk in Primary last week, announced to everyone, "that was a really nice talk I just gave!"
Connor wasn't feeling well today. He said to me, "mom, I feel sick. My swallow hurts."
Isabel was indulging in a chocolate croissant at Atlanta Bread last month, and said, "I don't like it - it has bread in it." Apparently the chocolate straight up would have been more her style, that sweet-toothed girl!
And Lucas's new favorite thing to do: ride/play with this Tonka Truck. He LOVES this truck with all of his sweet little heart. He really loves to move the red handle back and forth; this makes a lovely revving sound. Such a boy! And looking at this picture, I can no longer pretend that his hair is OK. It is crazy long and shaggy! I'm going to have to get him in for a cut before our family pictures next month.
5 comments:
I love the crazy little boy hair...if you remember, we ignored Martin's locks for far too long! Thank you for the perspective on toddlers. I remember that article, and have just recently been realizing (again) that when I'm spending quality time with them I'm less likely to be frustrated with what they are doing. I also loved President Uchdorf's talk in conference today that reminded us to focus on the "doing" and not on the "getting it done."
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.
That sounds likea great article, I will have to make sure to read it!
I love your perspective on this. I find too that when I stop what I'm doing and focus all my attention on my kids, their behavior improves 150%. I love the quote you shared too!
Post a Comment