And much as I love the advent, it didn't produce the fairy-tale relationship I had envisioned. So the next year I dumped the advent (being pregnant with Mason and all), and last year picked it up again. So it has been a fickle relationship. I've now decided we are going to have a more open relationship. As in, I give it my best, but if once in a while we miss a day, life will go on. But I refuse to allow said advent to inflict more stress into my life. So, I have committed to being slightly non-committal. And it is TOTALLY working for me.Some days are very simple, as in we read a Christmas book or listen to Christmas music. And I don't document every activity. And I am happy. Really, really happy. I love this newly defined relationship. So here's some of the Christmas activities we've been up to.
1. We trimmed the tree and decked the halls

2. I took the three older children to a Colorado Mormon Chorale Christmas concert. It was so lovely, and we had a really fun evening. Brian kindly agreed to stay home with Mason, because he is at that age.
3. We attended the winter carnival at the children's school. This is always a fun event, with games and prizes (including Chick Fil A gift certificates and a visit with the cow), pictures with Santa, crafts, cake walk, bake sale, popcorn and hot chocolate, and a book for every child. As you can see, Mason did NOT like Santa. Probably because he's at that age.

4. We played board games under the tree with only the light of the tree. This was a favorite Christmas activity of me and my sister when I was young; we'd spend hours playing Let's Eat Out and other games under the tree. My kids also think it's super. If you look really hard you can see this in action. Night pictures by tree light are so super tricky!

5. We watched the Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol, and then the George C. Scott version. My kids are fascinated by the latter. And get kinda spooked when the Ghost of Christmas Future shows up. Thus the snuggling for safety and comfort.

6. I attended a fun visiting teaching brunch, wherein we made elf "donuts" to leave out for Santa's elves (thanks Pinterest and Steph!) and this simply yet fun Christmas Tree game, invented by my friend's mom years ago that involves rolling dice to gather a felt tree and stem, and then decorating the tree with little "ornaments" and eventually the star. This has been fun, and will be a great diversion on our more than 2 1/2 weeks of break (starting on Saturday!).




7. We watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional
8. We attended our ward Christmas party
3 comments:
I'm with you on the no pressure Christmas decorating and traditions. I watched the Christmas devotional too and one thing that stuck out was President Uchtdorf's talk on Christmas and contentment. How much of our energy is focused on things that matter very little, but things that make us stressed. I am all for tradition and fun, but try to relax too and focus on the true meaning.
ahh, Holiday goodness. I think your no stress approach to that cute advent is exactly what you should be doing. Love it!
Your tree is beautiful, as is the picture of you and your darlings.
Merry, merry!
Post a Comment