Tuesday, December 6, 2011

18 months

Mason Henry was 18 months old on December 4. I feel like he is in full-fledged toddlerville now. And it's quite a place. What a little person!

Some things about Mason at 18 months:
- He loves music and dancing and clapping
- He LOVES Elmo
- He is a pretty good eater. At his 18 month check up, he weighed 23 pounds 7 ounces and was 33 inches tall, bumping him up to the 39th and 71st percentiles. respectively. I have NEVER EVER had a child above 50 percent at any time on any growth chart. Astounding!
- He has a peanut allergy. Boo! This was discovered recently on two separate accidental peanut ingestions: one given by me, and one given by a little friend at church. The first resulted in vomiting, the second resulted in vomiting, facial hives and significant itching and irritation. Not pleased to have a second child with a peanut allergy (Connor being the first).
- He started nursery at church on Sunday. He only made it to one hour b/c of said peanut consumption (which did not happen during nursery), but it went well.
- He loves to tell "secrets" and be told secrets.
- He loves to smile when asked
- He can say a bunch of words and animal sounds, which are demonstrated later.
- He can be a real stinker, and hates to be told no. This can often result in him hitting someone or something to illustrate how very angry he was at being told no. It's rather maddening.
- He LOVES when I cook on the stove and comes running every time saying "hot" over and over. I have to be really careful to never leave the stove when I am cooking.
- He loves to go outside
- He adores his brothers and sister and has really started to interact with them extensively (playing their games, talking to them, entertaining them)
- He is a favorite toy of his brothers and sister, who all adore him immensely
- Brian and I are crazy smitten with our littlest dude, who is very good at holding our hands and giving heart-melting hugs and kisses
- He can count. Well, he can say 2 whenever he hears someone else start counting.
- He loves to fold his arms for a prayer
- He is generally very good at following directions, unless the directions make him mad and then it's a bit of a disaster

I took a video of the older children getting Mason to say and do some of his words/sounds. It's a nice sampling of his skills, a sort of greatest hits if you will. And you can see how very entertaining the game of "Mason can you say _____" is. A favorite pastime in our home for sure. Although it can be a bit bewildering when multiple siblings are playing along at once.


7 comments:

Steph said...

This boy has sure stolen my heart over the last 18 months! He is an awesome little guy!

The Frosts said...

He is so so cute! I am impressed with his verbal skills and that he is using silverware! WoW! I can't imagine Emery being at that point in 8 months. So fun to hear your kids interact with him. I'm super sorry about the peanut allergy. THat is so hard. ANd I'm really, really happy to see you blogging again! I've missed you!

Jen said...

He has lightning reflexes responding to all the noise requests. You've got another little genius at your house, not that he could have been otherwise.

Colleen said...

Wow, he is learning multi-tasking at a young age with all of those siblings of his coaching him! Can't believe he's already 18 months old!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

What a cute, fun guy! I am sure the other kids just love quizzing / entertaining him and visa versa.

Kristi said...

What a blessing that little boy of yours is. There is just something so special about that little caboose. I love hearing your kids badger him with questions and baby-do's. He's a ham. Thanks for sharing. :)