Monday, December 12, 2011

Dancing queen, reading queen

Isabel's first kindergarten report was a glowing success. In almost every area she was graded as above grade and either mastery or advanced. I find it interesting, though, that this was the comment on her report card: "Isabel is a model for behavior. But please remind her that she doesn't need to be so serious. She never smiles when she is trying to do what's right."

I really need to do post sometime about the infinite number of ways in which she and I are the same. And perfectionist overachiever is just one of the ways. When I was younger my friends used to gently tease me about how seriously I took things like school and dance. I totally understand her because she is a mini me. Not so much in looks - although there's some resemblance - but in personality and behavior. I am seriously talking CLONES!

Her teacher is considering moving her to a first grade reading group because she said not only is Isabel the top reader in her class, but by a long shot. We are looking into this, and if the principal agrees to it, it will start after Christmas break. I thinks she just came into kindy with a really strong grasp of language, which developed at a really early age (like full-on adult conversations at 18 months, thus astounding speech therapists and developmental pediatricians). Kindergarteners come into school at such a variety of levels, I suspect she will begin to blend in more as time progresses. Although I certainly would like for her to always remain top of the class. She simply loves words and school in general. Like her mama.

She always has been excelling in dance. She started the year as a 2nd year Shining Star (primarily 5 and 6 year olds), and last month her teacher asked me for permission to move her to the Dance II class (mostly 7 and 8 year olds) because she said her ability to listen and perform far exceeded the rest of her class and she spent most of her time waiting for everyone to catch up). So I agreed, and it has been a good move. Isabel seems to enjoy dance a lot more since the move and is definitely more challenged. And she likes that she is now learning jazz in addition to tap and ballet.

It is just interesting how children are all driven in different ways and by different things. She definitely likes to please her teachers and challenge herself and achieve the uppermost level in her pursuits. I know, because I do too.

Anyways, her Dance II observation week was last week, so here are some pics and video of her new class. Very proud of her!











1 comment:

Kristi said...

Sweet girl! I think it's fun that she is so much like you. And nice that you "get" her, ya know? She is built to be a prima ballerina. Such a tiny, graceful little dancer.