The Opening Credits
We did the roughly 18-hour trip in two days on the way out, driving through 4 states and 1100 miles with nary an incident. We spent the night in Council Bluffs Iowa, right across from the Missouri River. We really lucked out with weather and didn't see a flake of snow fall the entire drive there and back, for which we were immensely grateful. All of the children did fabulously. Actually, we all really like road trips, and have done this one a number of times. I'll sure credit the traveling DVD player with part of the success, but even Mason did amazing. The only incident was with my brother JJ who left just ahead of us and had a big blowout in the middle of Nebraska, so we caught up and rescued him for a couple of hours while his car got a new tire.
The Location
My parents live in a log home next to a National Forest in northern Minnesota, little more than an hour from the Canadian border. It's pretty there, but when you throw in the 50 inches of snow they have already received this winter (which will not melt until April or May), it was the perfect Christmas setting. It snowed lightly on an off the entire time we were there, and was also cloudy and grey almost the entire time, giving the whole area a frosty appearance. Pretty. Their home is just a few miles from the home I grew up in, so I always wax a bit nostalgic when I'm there. And the kiddos adore visiting grandma and grandpa.






The Cast of Characters
We have grown from 7 of us, to 20 (and counting, I'm sure). Here are the 9 grandchildren (Connor is the oldest, and for now, Mason is the youngest)-

with Grandma and Grandpa-

Most of the adults-

The supporting events
I went night-time snowshoeing with my mom and dad, which is why we are wearing head lamps. There is nothing like the sound of the woods on a winter evening. The hat I grabbed from my mom's winter items bin; my sisters later pointed out it has a lovely mushroom shape.



Much cousin time. The sauna (pronounced the correct way, as in sow-nuh, not saw-nuh please) serves as a great play spot when not in use-

cousin movie party/sleepover-

We spent a fabulous, frozen, FREE evening at Bentleyville Tour of Lights in Duluth. Super cool! It offers 3 million lights that luminate Bayfront Festival Park on the shores of Lake Superior, and is the largest holiday light show in the Midwest. Admission is free. It includes a 12-story tall steel Christmas tree that has 50,000 LED lights synchronized to music; the Bentleyville castle, which stands 24 feet high and 78 feet long; the Cookie House, which offers complimentary hot chocolate, coffee and cookies as they stroll through the park; a dazzling 500-foot lighted tunnel that leads to Santa; 15 fire pits for roasting marshmallows for s'mores; the Polar Popcorn Hut; local displays of the Aerial Lift Bridge, Tall Ships, a replicate of a thousand foot ore boat and Enger Tower (info from their Web site.) In addition to the popcorn, cookies, and hot chocolate, each child is given a candy cane, bag of cookies and a free stocking hat (which Isabel is wearing in a previous picture). It was awesome! Of course, it is tough to get good light pics, but it was beautiful.















Gingerbread cookie decorating with Grandma-





Sledding at home-

and at the golf course in town-





A backyard fire and playing in the snow-



My mom threw a baby shower for my Aunt Meg, who is married to my mom's youngest brother Mike. Meg has a number of extremely challenging health problems, including lupus, and could not have children. After years of agonizing, they decided to go the surrogate route, and at the ages of 46 and 48, are becoming parents! Never thought I'd be getting a new cousin, so fun. So my grandma O'Neill is anticipating the birth of her 21st grand-child, after having 20 great-grandchildren! The group shot is Meg, my mom, my grandma, another aunt, several cousins, my sisters and sister-in-law and me.


Girls/Guys outings
My mom and sisters and I always do lunch and shopping, and had a blast as always. We had fun helping my mom shop for clothes for her new new volunteer job at the courthouse, and for my sister's student teaching. Then the guys went to True Grit, and by all reports it was a great movie.
The Main Event
Growing up, we opened gifts on Christmas Eve and then Santa brought one big unwrapped gift and filled our stocking, so that's what we did, much to Brian's chagrin, who feels very strongly about opening gifts on Christmas morning (which I am otherwise fine with).
Connor and his haul: Santa brought his first video game, which he has been asking for. You know me and video games. Or maybe you don't. Let's just say we don't mix. So we started small, with a Game Cube. Maybe someday we'll work up to a Wii. Maybe.





Isabel's haul. She loved her owl more than I imagined, and also likes her bike, despite her face. And she is modeling her new pettiskirt. Her favorite gift is a little interactive play aquarium called Fin Fin Friends, which is the only thing she repeatedly asked for.





Lucas woke up with a bad cough and fever on Christmas, poor guy. But still managed to have fun. He got some super fun gifts. Isn't he a dish in his new train engineer play outfit?





Mason's first Christmas!


The closing credits
We decided to push straight through and not stop at a hotel on the way back. 20 hours after leaving my parents we pulled into our driveway, at 6 a.m. This includes a 3-hour stop at the Mall of America, where we hit up the American Girl store, Lego store (which Brian said blows our Lego store out of the water), and Nickelodeon Universe, the indoor amusement park.

















Above all, we paused to reflect upon the reason for this joyous time of year, Him whose birth brings light and joy and hope to all, even Jesus Christ our Savior. Because of Him, It's a Wonderful Life. Hope your Christmas was merry indeed.
12 comments:
I love that you had to go so far for a BEAUTIFUL white Christmas. Your parents home looks so fun!! Glad you made it back safe. Someday I would LOVE to go to the Mall of America.
Looks like a totally beautiful, perfect traditional Christmas! Jealous! But I'm with Brian on the gift opening stuff! Christmas morning just wouldn't be the same. Glad everyone had fun and made it home safely. Your kids are so blessed to have such a strong family and lots of cousins to share it with.
What a fabulous time! I am glad you got to go and the weather was good for you. What fun times and traditions with your family. I love your parent's sauna too. My kids love playing in ours when it is off. It is like a fort of sorts. And the Mall of America is awesome! Just FYI for those who may read this-I found out if you have a long layover in Minneapolis airport they will shuttle you over there and back (I think for free).
That was some serious posting. Some highlights I liked were the Christmas town complete with Rudolph's fur (where's Rudolph?), and the sledding photos...so fun!
Wow. That looks like a picture perfect Christmas. Your parent's home looks like a Christmas card or a calendar. I'm jealous of the snow! We didn't get a white Christms, and I was so sad about it.
Love the activities - that light display was amazing! MOA is a fun stop, last time I was there the amusement park was Peanuts themed...
Your kids Christmas pics are fun. It looks like Santa knew they had been good all year. How fun to buy TOYS, I miss that.
Wow that sounds like a fun-filled Christmas. We're glad you are all home safely. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
So glad you guys had good driving weather! I am super jealous of your beautiful white Christmas!
What a wonderful Christmas!
We had a great time with you guys. How sad that I am not in the adult picture. I am sure I was slaving away in the kitchen or some such thing. ;) Great capture of our time.
Looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas vacation!
Stunning, picturesque, amazing, fabulous, unforgettable are words that come to mind seeing this post! Love the pic of you and Isabel on the sled! Incredible trip! Can i go to your parents house next year?!? :)
Dang girl, that might get the record for your longest blog post ever. My breath is literally taken away every time I see the setting of your parents house. Your Christmas sounds like it was absolutely perfect. I loved my one Christmas in MN. Glad you had so much fun and got to be with your family!
Post a Comment