The kids made Spam musubi (I did not know that Spam was developed during WWII for the soldiers, to give then something with nutrition that also has a long shelf life). So the kids had seaweed strips that they dipped in water, then spread with cooked rice, and then added fried Spam, which they rolled up. Sorta like Spam sushi. Now I love me some good sushi, but Spam? No. Connor was not a fan, either. But it was a fun station.



There was a memorial station, with all sorts of newspaper articles, books, pictures, actual war ration coupons, and such. Really cool stuff! The book Connor is holding is the book about the two men Mrs. R met, really a remarkable story. And in one of the pics he and some friends are trying to do the math and figure out how many years it's been since Pearl Harbor happened.





I was in charge of the lei making station-




And they made paper cranes-



I've said it before, but I am passionate about school, education and learning. And Mrs. R is completely gifted at bringing all of these to life. She is a captivating storyteller, and teaches above the state standards, which I also like. Connor is loving his school year with Mrs. R as his teacher. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her tell her experiences at the Pearl Harbor 50th commemorative event, it actually moved me to tears. But according to Brian, this is not difficult.
Oh, and you might have noticed more than 1 picture with Connor next to a cute girl, yes? He is all about the cute girls this year, gulp.
3 comments:
That's really cool. I hope Elijah gets at least a few great teachers like that.
Lady killer! We actually had spam sushi from the grocery store in Kauaii. Not bad really.
Impressive!! That would've moved me to tears too! I love great teachers. And it's even better when parents can appreciate them. :)
Post a Comment