With the advent of 2011, I've been feeling a bit... I don't know the right word - pensive? reflective? sentimental? Perhaps all of them.
We had a quiet New Year's Eve/Day. New Year's Eve was a family pizza, malt and game party. On New Year's Day Isabel and I saw Tangled (loved loved loved it! I'd go again tomorrow and see it again it was so fun), and the rest of the day we spent organizing, watching football and eating Brian's chili. Every year since we've been married Brian makes a bit pot of chili on New Year's Day; some years he invites some guys over to have a bowl and watch a bowl game, some years we lay a little lower and it's just us. This year was just us. It was good.
I was thinking back to New Year's Eve 10 years ago, which was less than 2 weeks before I got engaged. It was spent with many friends, a lot of whom are still my dear friends today. Monique and Wendie, do you remember this?:
Amazing what 10 years can do. As I look ahead to 2011, I realize how many milestones my little family will celebrate. Brian and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage. 10 years of ups, and downs. Of laughing, and crying. Of blessings, and trials. Of living, and loving. Of bringing four precious spirits into this world. And now, we are entering a new phase in life, in which our family is complete, and the focus is on raising those children to be happy, well-adjusted people who contribute to the world in a positive way. It's most certainly a new chapter. One that we are looking forward to."But time makes you bolder, even children get older. And I'm getting older, too. Oh, I'm getting older too."
Other milestones we look forward to this year:
This one starts playing on a basketball team, turns 8 and gets baptized, and starts Cub Scouts.This one starts kindergarten.

This one becomes a Sunbeam in Primary and starts preschool
. He was so excited to start Primary today, but church was canceled just as we were walking out the door, as a result of a power outage. Hope he can maintain his enthusiasm another week!
This one turns 1, and slips quietly (or not so quietly) into toddlerhood, leaving babyhood far behind. I am happy about this. I am sad about this. Time is measured differently as your last child grows, don't you think? I think that's when it really starts to run away from you.So here's to 2011. I think it's gonna be a good one.
9 comments:
Happy 2011! What a big year for you guys. We miss the kids (and you and Brian) so much already! Come on economy and improve so we can get together way more often! You forgot to mention Mason's new tooth!!!
It IS going to be a good one, I agree! So many things to look forward to...
I certainly remember the faces, but where was this pic taken? I don't remember that. Thanks for being a friend for over 10 years!! Happy 2011!
It was taken at Heather and Ashley's - we had that game party, and then we all went downtown to watch the fireworks; it was freezing cold, remember? And then you, Brian and I made that super late stop at Walgreens, I can't remember why. Fun times. :)
What a great post, loved it!
I love Stevie, and so you touched my heart with this post. Cheers to the New Year, and the New Chapter, may your life be blessed with all the joys of this life and the next! Love you!
2011 is going to be a great year for you! I love your reflective thoughts, and the fun picture of you and Monique. Stevie Nicks is always a favorite, and that song gets me thinking too...
Here's to a fabulous New Year! I'm excited to see it all unfold on your blog. :)
Happy New Year! Here's to 2011.
You definitely have an eventful 2011 in the workds. Your comment about Mason growing up already makes me sad for my last baby growing up. Of course I remember that NYE all those years ago. Such great memories! Happy New Year (10 days late!)
Post a Comment