Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving week

Connor has an entire week off of school for Thanksgiving. One fun thing we did was tour Hammond's Candy Factory. Apparently it was a popular idea, because it was PACKED, but we still had fun. For some reason we had never been. Hammond's still makes all their hard candies, taffies, chocolates and more by hand, and does all their packaging by hand, too. We were able to watch them make candy, visit the retail shop, and sample some of the sweets.

The kids all enjoyed it. But if you know Isabel, you might know she was pretty much in her own idea of a perfect heaven that day. Every time she'd hear sweet words - marshmallows! caramel! sugar! corn syrup! peppermint! chocolate! - she's repeat them exuberantly with the most joyous look on her face.

And it was really fun that they were all decked out for Christmas.

On Thanksgiving, I hosted my 2 brothers and sister in-law, as well as Brian's parents, aunt and uncle, and sister. My brother the foodie wanted to cook the turkey and stuffing. No complaints from me! He brined the turkey for many hours in a salt water bath with a bunch of spices, including juniper, and made two kinds of fabulous stuffings with dried berries and fruits - they were pretty, colorful and scrumptious! Thanks JJ for the effort, it was fabulous! I was happy just making pies, rolls and potatoes this year.

It was a fairly low-key, fun day. After everyone left, including Brian who traveled to Nebraska for the football game, JJ and I took the kids on a beautiful drive along the foothills while the sun set. I totally come from a family that enjoys simple pleasures, and I love this. Among the many things I am grateful for are my many family members, and this beautiful Earth.

Connor lost both of his top front teeth during Thanksgiving break, just in time for Christmas. You know, so he can sing about all he wants for Christmas... and another tooth is about to fall out, giving him the snaggletooth look until it does. I fear this is the beginning of the awkward stage. Still cute, just awkward. Did you look good in 3rd, 4th, 5th grades? I did not.

And my November dessert of the month. These are quite possibly my favorite bars EVER.

5 comments:

Erica said...

So JJ cooks too- maybe I need to pass that along!! :)

Kristina said...

Erica-JJ cooks often, loves it, and does it well! Hee hee hee. Love the pics Melissa. And I can only imagine Isabel in that candy store. Whew. Love Connor's lost teeth.

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I love hosting Thanksgiving! There's just something about hanging out with family in your own home, and getting to do the decorating, and hostess thing. It's just always been a fun time for me. Looks like you enjoyed it too! So excited to see you soon!!

Amy said...

Hmmm...I didn't marry a foodie but perhaps one of my kids will be? I can hope! Looks like a fabulous, fun Thanksgiving with family.

Kristi said...

Such good stuff!

Your candy factory field trip looks fun and yummy, as does your T-day dinner.

Okay, basically this entire post made me hungry, lol!

Oh, and that poem is bea-u-ti-ful!